Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PUHLEEZE SHARE

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 270 Total Views

I seriously need you all to share your recipes with me bc when I try to eat "regular meals" with my husband and my son I can only eat a VERY small amount and Im always still hungry but I know better than than to take another bite. I need some diabetic friendly recipes that will allow me to eat more without blowing it. What do you eat and how do you make it? How big are the portions?

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MyMiratana
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM

I've been T1 for 26 yrs..on insulin pump for past 3. I stay in good control and eat pretty normal and what my family eats. I just watch portion control and cook healthy(but things that are tastey too!) for everyone..not just me. You need to watch your carb intake..lower carbs make it easier to control your blood sugar without having spikes. Most recipes can be modified to fit your diet as well. Try going to D-Life.com for some great recipes there.I don't think you even have to sign up to get some great recipes and ideas that are diabetic friendly. I've found some good recipes there. Eat as many veggies as often as possible since they are good for you, low in carb(most veggies), have little effect on your blood sugar and actually help fill you up.  Get the book the Calorie King..a must have for every diabetic. You can get it at amazon I believe or calorieking.com.  I would also recommend reading Dr.Bernsteins books too who is diabetic himself as well as checking out tudiabetes.com for some great information for all diabetics as well as recipe ideas in some of the groups they have there. Hope that helps! Hang in there!

~Stacey :)

Mom2Jack04
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I tend to eat Salmon and Grilled Chicken every week.  I buy the bags of frozen salmon fillets that Aldi and Save-A-Lot has (4 for $3.99, that's two meals for us), one breast or fillet with a side of veggies and then some brown rice cooked in chicken broth.  Or I'll make a baked potato as I handle those beautifully.  Once in awhile I'll have some pasta with it, not usualy the whole wheat because I don't like the taste, but sometimes I do use Dreamfields. 

My dessert of choice lately, even though odd, but then i'm just under 8 months pregnant....lol...cravings...is a caramel rice cake spread with peanut butter and a little bit of Light No Sugar Added ice cream spread on it.  LOL I've been eating this daily the past week.

I don't deprive myself of anything, I know what I can handle, and I don't kill myself for 2 hours working out to do it. 

If I want a hamburger for dinner I gouge out some of the bread of the bun, or only use one half, on my big glutton days I'll use lettuce or portobello mushrooms instead of a bun and have some fries with it. 

Today I have a turkey breast in the oven.  I'll have some of that with mashed potatoes and green beans.  Yesturday I made a beef stroganoff, I just added lots of carrots and green beans to it to beef it up and only put one cup of cooked wide egg noodles in it, so I still had pasta but not a huge amount of it. 

Mom2Jack04
by on Oct. 31, 2009 at 8:14 PM

I'm not saying one shouldn't exercise, i've seen my numbers drop 100 points from a workout, however I don't think "I'll eat MORE carbs and then just kill myself for 2 hours" I'd rather stick with my healthy medium.....and not eat a carb portion that I know will make my BG rise too much and attempt to balance it my taking extra insulin or working out more than is normal.  The average person does NOT go on a treadmill for 2 hours, nor would they.

bkarmaa
by on Oct. 31, 2009 at 8:32 PM

talk to your dr. and dietician, tell them that you're usually still hungry after following your present diet plan.  they will help you increase it properly.    barb

Neil799
by on Oct. 31, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I realize most would not want to exercise. Only athletes would be interested in such an effort. Low carb diets do truly help make it easier for most diabetics.  However, I love the benefits exercise gives me, and I take a great deal of responsibility of keeping fit. I keep fit not for myself, but for my spouse and children. Without my spouse I am sure I would have died before some people on this site were born. When I had someone depending on me, I was willing to take any effort to survive. I am one of those diabetics who make zero insulin. I don't need to tell what horrible experience it is without any insulin.  I could not walk 100 feet, vomited and more every day and I actually begged God to just let me die. By the grace of God and my family's assistance, I recovered. During my youth, I went from one crisis to the other. I finally was given insulin and I am very grateful for those Canadian researchers who in the 1920s discovered how to process insulin so humans could inject the hormone. I like to share my experiences in how others can live healthier lives, and I know few want to do what I do. However, I decided years ago, that I was going to be an iconic example of good health and  an insulin depemdent diabetic too. Exercise has great benefits for diabetics, and those with this disease have to decide if the exercise benefits are worth the investment of time and energy or if it is just not worth the effort. Also, many type 2 diabetics still make some insulin, so they simply have a different situation.

Mom2Jack04
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Quoting Neil799:

Exercise has great benefits for diabetics, and those with this disease have to decide if the exercise benefits are worth the investment of time and energy or if it is just not worth the effort. Also, many type 2 diabetics still make some insulin, so they simply have a different situation.

Again my point is this is not the Biggest Loser.....the average woman, especialy a MOM as this website is designed for, doesn't have HOURS to just walk on a treadmill or an eliptical....just for the sake of pigging out on carbs she knows she shouldn't eat too much of.

Frankly "Neil" as you've rudely e-mailed me in the past with your "opinions" and even posted a matter of two days ago on another thread here about YOUR "WIFE"!  I wonder why a MAN (who is most likely in his 50's or 60's based on what you say about 40+ years ago, blah blah blah) is on Cafemom...a site for women with kids, and then joins a group about Diabetics Moms.  It's like you are only here to preach your way or the high way.

Mom2Jack04
by on Nov. 1, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Quoting Neil799:

All I said it was easier with lower carb diet but if people exercise then they get more freedom. I fail to see why such simple words offend you. I will not reply to anything with your name is the future. If you reply back, I will not answer.

Yes of course, don't even acknowledge the fact you are indeed a man on a website for moms...I have no idea what your agenda is, other than the 6+ e-mails you send me and others the day you joined.  I don't trust you and I don't like you. 

tam84
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Thanks mamas! I think I was convinced that I was starving bc I made that post in my last few weeks of pregnancy when all I could think about was eating. My daughter is almost 2 weeks old now and I dont feel like Im about to pass out everytime I cant have another plate. =) If there's a next time I will def make sure I know what my options are and how to eat well during pregnancy! This time I kind of had to wing it bc I found out I was pregnant AND diabetic in the same month so it was a learning experience. I would have preffered knowing I was diabetic beforehand bc I could have been educated and had my levels under control before conceiving. All is well though and the baby is healthy. She came weighing in at 7 pounds which was great bc I thought she would be huge since I struggled to much.

Neil799
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Just for your information, I am one who fixes dinner, makes sure the kids clothes are clean an  put away, that their rooms are clean, that the homework is done, that they get to school on time, that the grocery shopping is done and my children are very young too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)