Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how would you know????

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:45 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 256 Total Views

hi ladies. for those of you who take insulin shots. how did you end up on them? what made the doctor put you on insulin shots? i was just recently diagnosed with type 2 and in the hospital i was given insulin shots that kept my sugar levels under control. when i left the hospital the doctor wanted to send me home with shots of insulin but the educator nurse thought i should go home with pills instead to see how it would work for me. however, since i ben home, my sugar levels have not ben under control at all. so i was thinking that maybe i should tell my doctor to put me back on the insulin shots and see what he feels about that. what do yall think? help!

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
katgif
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 7:32 AM

I was put on insulin because my pills quit working. I took pills for years and they just werent doing the job any more so she added insulin. So now I take both.

ReanyBeany
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 6:42 PM

when I had GDM I started off with pills. through out the pregnnacy my sugar levels continued to get worse-- they kept upping the meds until I maxxed out on the mg then was put on insulin. honestly I wish I had gone straight to insulin b/c it made me feel so much better. Now three months after baby I have type 2. I am back on the pills. But a different kind. Sugars still a little high so we'll see what the doc says at my next appt. Not wanting insulin this time around. Hoping diet, exercise and the next level of dosage will do the trick.

mom2boys1997
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 12:23 AM

After I weaned my son, the doctor checked my sugar levels and found them to be around 135 and put me on insulin right a way. He put me on humalog which was way to strong and dropped my sugars to 40 and lower and I would pass opout. He then put me on Humilin and I am still on it.

They put me on actos for a while but took me off when they told me it could casue liver damage.

momofapreemie
by i'm in charge ;) on Mar. 9, 2010 at 12:31 AM

i've been diabetic for 28 years & 1/2 years now.  my doctor tried me on the pills, diet & exercise first hoping that would help.  i have type 1 diabetes which is when your pancreas doesn't make insulin at all, that's why i need injections.  ppl with type 2 diabetes, their bodies still make insulin just not enough, so the pills help them make the amount they need.

i don't understand why they had you on insulin if they seem to think you are type 2, then send you home with the pills.  they should have tried to regulate you on the pills so you know what dosage you need. 

i've found sometimes the doctors don't know my body like i do.  yes, they may know the science of diabetes but everyone's body is not the same.  when i was pregnant i went in the hospital to get my sugar under control and the doctors couldn't seem to do it.  it was up and down drastically.  i finally convinced them to let me go home and have my endocrinologist level me out, and he did. 

what has your doctor said about your sugars being so out of control now that you are home?

~blue

LyTe684
by on Mar. 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Type 1 here. Never was an option to NOT be on the shots... Although.. I am happily on the pump now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)