Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do when blood count is low......

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 507 Total Views

Hi girls, I've been getting real low blood counts. Not below 70, but in the seventy range. I never thought I had type 2 but because I wasn't sure did what I was told to do. If I no longer have it, I did control it with diet, because I've never had any meds for this. Are your readings low at times? Just wondering if it's a thing that happens, or what it is. Thanks all for your help.♥♥♥ 

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nanette77318
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:12 PM

you can find a GREAT resource at www.diabetes.org. Low sugar always needs to be treated.

LyTe684
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:17 PM

70 isn't really 'low' per say.. but if you don't eat.. it will get there. I've gotten as low as about 20-something conscious... Not sure HOW. I have also passed out several times and had two seizures due to LBS. That was chalked up to having a HORRIBLE Endo. I still do get low.. sometimes TOO low.. but not unconscious. Honey works wonders. Drop it under the tongue. Works faster that way. Also glucose tabs, OJ, etc.

zbee
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Thanks  hon, I just knew you'd know. I ate some ice cream, loved every bite of it. But, will get myself  some honey in case this  happens again. I do feel extremely tired, but that could be from something else I have. The gifts that keep on giving, thanks hon so much.♥♥♥ 

Quoting LyTe684:

70 isn't really 'low' per say.. but if you don't eat.. it will get there. I've gotten as low as about 20-something conscious... Not sure HOW. I have also passed out several times and had two seizures due to LBS. That was chalked up to having a HORRIBLE Endo. I still do get low.. sometimes TOO low.. but not unconscious. Honey works wonders. Drop it under the tongue. Works faster that way. Also glucose tabs, OJ, etc.

zbee
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Thanks hon, I've been to that site and didn't find what I was looking for, but I thank you for your help. I don't really feel that well and could of easily missed it. Thanks again.........♥♥♥ 

Quoting Nanette77318:

you can find a GREAT resource at http://www.cafemom.com/group/2766/forums/diabetes.org. Low sugar always needs to be treated.

Nanette77318
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:08 PM

The 'extremely tired' feeling after eating ice cream to treat a low could be a rebound.  Ice cream, as yummy as it is...shouldn't treat a low. Orange juice, Regular soda (not diet), or glucose tablets/gel are really the best way to treat. Testing every 15 minutes while you treat the low is important as well!

Nanette77318
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Quoting zbee: and didn't find what I was looking for,

Just type in "low sugar" in the search field...and TONS of results pop up!

Mom2Jack04
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Yeah as diabetics if we eat "bad" carbs we can get high, but we can also get too low if we don't eat enough or if we burn them off too fast.  I take frequent long walks and i'll get low.  The lowest i've been and conscious was about 32.  At 48 once I fell to the ground, passing out briefly.

And you do need a healthier carb to get up.  Nanette is right, many times I have gotten low, ate junk to get up, only to over compensate and then be high and feel aweful.  When I have a low then a high I tend to get headaches and feel aweful the rest of the day. 

We can't always have orange juice or other juice on hand....but get some glucose tablets, the new glucose gel, or the smaller cake mate gel icing tubes to keep on you. 

I tend to eat a sandwich or something like that after the quick fix to help keep me stable.

One other thing I wanted to point out is that you said: If I no longer have it, I did control it with diet,

It's very misleading when you see commercials and such online saying things like "I lost 50 pounds and i'm no longer a diabetic"

Truth is, once you are a diabetic, you are ALWAYS a diabetic.  You can have excellent control and numbers of a non-diabetic, but go and eat a large pizza or other aweful, large amount of carbs and your diabetes will show it's ugly face.  We can control it with diet, exercise and not need meds anymore (for type 2's) but it's still there.

Alysia598
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I'm a type 1 diabetic and has had it from 11 and I'm almost 37. MyMOM IS NOT A DIABETIC BUT IF SHE DOESNT EAT AND JUST RUNS AROUND SHE WILL START TO HAVE HER HANDS SHAKE LIKE A DIABETIC WOULD.IT'S UR BODY TELLING YOU TO EAT OR MORE TO EAT. 70 IS THE STARTING POINT WHEN  IT GOES BELOW 70 THATS WHEN YOU HAVE TO WORRY. ALWAYS KEEP SOME TYPE OF SUGAR FOOD WITH YOU IN THE CAR AND IN YOUR PURSE. I HOPE THJIS HELPS OUT A BIT.  .. I have been as low as 23 and have spent some nights in the hospital because of it. Mine went very low after i just ate . I layed down next time i came to i was in the ER. And what caused my sugar to go low was i was getting sick and i didn't slow my body down So it did it for me...your  body will tell you and let you know if you are going nuts and that's when everything goes for the worse...Keep a log for a little whil;e of what you are eating and at what time cause you should check ur sugar 2 hours after u eat. A normal person it will be good but if you are higher over 150 i would get tested again. You really need to go to a proper doc for diabetes. Alot are just book smart and others are great. I found a doctor that was a diabetic herself and it was the best feeling being able to tell her what was goin on and her knowing and feeling what i have gone threw. My Diabetic doctor moved and i was so upset cause she made it feel so much better when i would go in and talk to her. I hope this helps you out. BUT JUST KEEP A DAILY LOG FOR ABOUT A MONTH AND RIGHT WHJAT YOU ATE AND WHAT TIMES. WHAT UR BS WAS BEFORE AND THEN 2 HOURS AFTER YOU ATE AND THAT AL0NE WILL DO A GREAT DEAL WITH HELPING YOUR QUESTIONS OUT

Alysia Salterpuppycat

zbee
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Thank you girls so much. I do get the shaky feeling and it's like I'm going to pass out, but, thank God I haven't. I think your right about once diagnosed with this you always have it. I didn't have anything sweet in the house but ice cream, and it seemed to work. I have since bought honey, and some hard candy just in case. I learn so much more from you girls than I do looking things up, I guess it's because I have more interest in what someone is saying that is dealing with this, as opposed to just reading text material. Thank you all so very much, I've been running counts from 85-110, I don't think that's too bad. Hugs to all and another big thank you.........♥♥♥  

Mom2Jack04
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Glad you had something.  Just remember it's not about having something sweet, but about having something carby.  In a crunch bread would work...though it just takes longer to get in your system.  Something pure sugar is much faster acting, but also doesn't last long, that's why you need something else to keep you up without making you too high.  It's hard to balance.  7 years after being diagnosed I still get too high after a low, so even I haven't found the right balance yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)