Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Designing your diet

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 216 Total Views

Do you use diet to help control your diabetes?  Who designed it?  What do you base it on (carbs, calories, just avoiding sugar, etc.)?  What are some of the things you eat?

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JoApple
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Right now, I am trying to control my diabetes with diet and medication.  I don't really have a planned diet, just some loose guidelines.  I am open for ideas on a specific diet to use.  I was wanting to use the Weight Watchers diet, but am not sure how it would mesh with diabetes.

michiganmom116
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Quoting JoApple:

Right now, I am trying to control my diabetes with diet and medication.  I don't really have a planned diet, just some loose guidelines.  I am open for ideas on a specific diet to use.  I was wanting to use the Weight Watchers diet, but am not sure how it would mesh with diabetes.

If I follow the ADA- or nutritionist-recommended diet, my blood sugars are uncontrollable.  What works for me is a low carb (under 60 a day) diet.  It's very easy to get the nutritients I need from meats/fish/eggs, some cheese, and a large variety of veggies, and I have plenty of energy.  What most people don't understand about the low-carb diet is that you have to increase fat intake so that your body has something to use for energy.  I consume coconut oil and real butter along with the naturally occuring fats in animal products and avocado.

JoApple
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM

That is very interesting.  I do have trouble keeping my numbers down...and am learning that starches/carbs definitely put me over the 200 mark.  I LOVE real butter, and have refused to give that up.  I am trying to use egg substitue for breakfast because the doctor says my cholesterol is too high.  I get sugar-free candy and limit that to 2 pieces in a day.  I am also supposed to be on a low fat diet...no fat, no sugar.  sigh.  For someone who has never had to worry about her weight or what she ate, this is all a big adjustment.  Watch everything I eat and lose 20 pounds.  Definitely challenging!

michiganmom116
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Quoting JoApple:

That is very interesting.  I do have trouble keeping my numbers down...and am learning that starches/carbs definitely put me over the 200 mark.  I LOVE real butter, and have refused to give that up.  I am trying to use egg substitue for breakfast because the doctor says my cholesterol is too high.  I get sugar-free candy and limit that to 2 pieces in a day.  I am also supposed to be on a low fat diet...no fat, no sugar.  sigh.  For someone who has never had to worry about her weight or what she ate, this is all a big adjustment.  Watch everything I eat and lose 20 pounds.  Definitely challenging!

Low fat diets will have little to no effect on your cholesterol level.  Your body will make all the cholesterol it needs.  Cholesterol is NECESSARY for our health and vital for our nervous system. Oddly enough, when was taking cholesterol-lowering meds and eating a low fat diet, my cholesterol was well over 300.  Now that I dumped those stupid meds and eat a full healthy fat diet, it's naturally come down to NORMAL!  My LDL and HDL levels are perfect.  I even eat eggs...at least 2 a day in some form.  My doctor shakes her head and STILL wants me to take meds.  I refuse.  There's absolutely no reason for me to take a drug that's known to cause heart damage if there's no reason.

I'd suggest you read these:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-10-things-you-need-to-know-part-1/#more-30923

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-10-things-you-need-to-know-part-2/#more-30934

MSJAP2010
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband & I actually bought a diabetic cookbook. It has some really great recipes that are surprisingly yummo!!! One of my faves is mushroom & chicken stroganoff. It's super simple to make & is really great tasting. Since I've been using that book, I have lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks with diet & exercise. I've cut back on sugar, carbs, calories & fat. happy

MSJAP2010
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Go to Barnes & Noble & look for a diabetic cookbook. The one I use is from Better Homes & Gardens. It's called Diabetics What to Eat. It has some super simple recipes & they are super yummo!! I've lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks on the diet. Good luck sweetie

Stephanie

MandiFuego
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been diabetic so long, I don't know where my eating habits come from...I just know I'm a grazer, it takes me 2 hours to eat lunch LOL the only meal I eat in a some what reasonable time is dinner ( 30-45 mins)

I don't drink soda, don't eat candy, rarely eat other sweets, I don't eat many foods cooked by other people because they sneak sugar in!

at dinner I usually eat chicken breasts cooked in different ways, a veggie, or salad and  brown rice

At lunch, basiaclly the same, but a sandwich

Breakfast is some carb choice or another and a protein.

I try to keep my snacks to one carb choice ( like a small piece of fruit)

MusherMaggie
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine is loosely based on the book and website "Eating Right 4 Your Type", diets designed for particular blood types.  I'm O Negative, the original blood type.  I try to focus on meat and vegetables, almost to the total elimination of breads and other grain-based carbs.  If I really stick closely to the diet, it also helps my asthma, GERD and arthritis as well.  I am still able to have pretty good control of my BG using Chromium Polynicotinate and cinnamon.  I have talked with my doctor and pretty well established that I will go to insulin rather than the oral medications in the event that the supplements no longer give me adequate control.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

MusherMaggie
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting JoApple:

Low fat diets will have little to no effect on your cholesterol level.  Your body will make all the cholesterol it needs.  Cholesterol is NECESSARY for our health and vital for our nervous system. Oddly enough, when was taking cholesterol-lowering meds and eating a low fat diet, my cholesterol was well over 300.  Now that I dumped those stupid meds and eat a full healthy fat diet, it's naturally come down to NORMAL!  My LDL and HDL levels are perfect.  I even eat eggs...at least 2 a day in some form.  My doctor shakes her head and STILL wants me to take meds.  I refuse.  There's absolutely no reason for me to take a drug that's known to cause heart damage if there's no reason.

I'd suggest you read these:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-10-things-you-need-to-know-part-1/#more-30923

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-10-things-you-need-to-know-part-2/#more-30934

My feelings exactly!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)