Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please, help. New

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 199 Total Views

Hi everyone,

I was told I have gestational diabetes. I couldn't find a group of GD, so I thought maybe you could help me. I had never had to poke my fingers before in my life. I'm getting pretty good numbers, but this is my problem:

To get one reading I have to prick an average of 6 times. My meter keeps asking me for the drop, when it is already soaking covered with it. Or it gives me an error, again and again. I wash my hands every time, I change the little strip every time.

It is frustrating me no end, Im new at this and I'm already drained and dreading it. I'm pregnant and hormones don't help. I don't know what to do :(

by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
michiganmom116
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:51 PM
I get better results if I prick the sides of my finger tips instead of on the end. I have too many calluses on the ends for the lancet to get through. As for the strips, many of them have the opening on the very end, not on the top, but I don't know which meter you're using. As for the error codes, you should be able to check in your meter's booklet to find out what the error codes mean.
BabyLucasMom
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Thanks I just realized the strip has the opening at the very end, not on top. I have wasted so many :(

Thank you!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I get better results if I prick the sides of my finger tips instead of on the end. I have too many calluses on the ends for the lancet to get through. As for the strips, many of them have the opening on the very end, not on the top, but I don't know which meter you're using. As for the error codes, you should be able to check in your meter's booklet to find out what the error codes mean.

michiganmom116
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 6:10 AM

I understand your frustrations, I've been there  LOL

Please, feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Quoting BabyLucasMom:

Thanks I just realized the strip has the opening at the very end, not on top. I have wasted so many :(

Thank you!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Rhonda

BabyLucasMom
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much. Fixing that problem has made my life way easier :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

I understand your frustrations, I've been there  LOL

Please, feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Quoting BabyLucasMom:

Thank you!

Quoting michiganmom116:

MusherMaggie
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Are you using one of those devices that holds the lancet? If so, try adjusting the setting for the puncture. Go a little to one side of the pad of your fingertip--skin will be thinner there. Slip the strip into the meter before you prickly, then prickly and apply the sample when the meter indicates. You shouldn't need a very big drop. You might also have a defective meter, on the other hand. There should be an 800 number on the box to contact the company for help.
BabyLucasMom
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I figured it out, thank you! The strip opening was at the very end. I thought it was on top.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Are you using one of those devices that holds the lancet? If so, try adjusting the setting for the puncture. Go a little to one side of the pad of your fingertip--skin will be thinner there. Slip the strip into the meter before you prickly, then prickly and apply the sample when the meter indicates. You shouldn't need a very big drop. You might also have a defective meter, on the other hand. There should be an 800 number on the box to contact the company for help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN