Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:56 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 188 Total Views

I have been a diabetic for 22 years. But I found out that after i had my son(8 years ago) i can't keep my sugars up after i take my regular insulin. I was on humalog and  switched to the novolog and have been having the same issue. The doctor is really wanting me to stay on the Novolog cause its supposedly suppose to limit my lows. I take less than 40 units per shot before my meal and before bedtime snack. I was on an insulin pump for 5 years but had to stop using it cause i kept getting infections at the site after 1 days use. Has anyone had this type of problem before? Is it common?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
michiganmom116
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Have you changed your diet?

Do you use a sliding scale to determine insulin dosage?

Do you experience gastroparesis?

Have you seen an endocrinologist about this problem?

Yes, my mom (Type 1) has this problem and she uses Novolog; it's getting harder and harder for her to control her blood sugar levels...she's been diabetic for 55 years and is 66 years old.  It's frustrating.

willysmama
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Have you changed your diet?

Do you use a sliding scale to determine insulin dosage?

Do you experience gastroparesis?

Have you seen an endocrinologist about this problem?

Yes, my mom (Type 1) has this problem and she uses Novolog; it's getting harder and harder for her to control her blood sugar levels...she's been diabetic for 55 years and is 66 years old.  It's frustrating.

No diet change. I use a sliding scale for insulin dosage. No problems with gastroparesis. I have seen a endocrinologist for this problem. Seeing a new one in a few weeks cause this one won't listen to me.

mrs.miller89
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I don't know how different Novolog is from Humalog but 40 units per shot seems like an awful lot. I use Humalog with a pump and have a limit of 20 units at a time. Anyway, my doctor told me that after I had my daughter (2 years ago) my insulin sensitivity would likely go up so I would not need to use as much. Whatever the problem is, hopefully you will get it figured out soon!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN