Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newly diagnosed, and new to the group

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 296 Total Views

Hello everyone.  I just joined this group today to hopefully gain some understanding of what's going on with me.

I have a history of pcos symptoms, but never had the blood work to diagnose me.  I'm not sure how many people on here know what pcos is, so just in case you don't know, it's an infertility disease caused by insulin resistance/pre-diabetes, whatever you want to call it. 

Anyway, last week, I got a 2-hour glucose tolerance done ordered by my gynecologist.  Sure enough, pcos is now an official diagnoses, even though I've been able to conceive.  But, it's a lot worse than we thought.  My sugar levels were 131 fasting, 222 after two hours, and that's obviously in the diabetic range.  My insulin numbers were two points under the diabetic range, so I got diagnosed with pre-diabtes/insulin resistance (apparently the same thing) and I have to get re-tested in two months.  I have an appt with my family dr this week, and hopefully I'll have more answers then, but I feel lost right now.  I've known for about two years that my fasting sugar level was high, and I've tried changing my diet, but every time I do I just gain and gain and gain weight, so I give up.  Well, for a week now I've been doing really well with my diet.  I'm only eating "natural" food, like fruits, veggies, meats, etc.  Very very little process food, although I am eating oatmeal due to cholestrol levels. 

My question is this:  when I eat nothing but protein rich foods, like chicken, why do I feel like my blood sugar is rising so much?  I got checked out because my hormones were out of balance, and I feel so dizzy all the time.  I was doing okay for a couple of days as far as the dizziness goes, but now I feel sick first thing in the morning, I assume due to LOW sugar, but right after I eat, no matter what I eat, I'm dizzy, I feel shaky although I'm not actually shaking, and I feel like I just need to lay down or I'm going to pass out. 

What do you all think might be the issue?  Like I said, I'm visiting my family doc this week, but until then, I need to do something.  It's really hard to take care of a toddler while feeling so weak and dizzy after I eat.

Thanks for reading my post.  I'm extremely overwhelmed right now and I don't know what else to do.

holding ornaments              christmas tree        

Merry Christmas!!!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Seventhsail
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I used to get that feeling a lot too. Primarily because I was eating a lot of sugar-laden foods. And this is when I was on what I thought was a healthy diet. But I had a lot of carbs in it (breads, oatmeal, corn). When I read up on the right foods to eat and what to avoid I started feeling better.

Do you have a meter? If you do, you may want to start testing regularly, to see how foods affect you. I would test just before I ate and two hours after I ate. And I ate several small meals throughout the day instead of three big ones. Keep a food log and take that to your doctor. Write down everything you eat, what time you ate it, and if you've got a meter, what your readings were. I also wrote down how I felt. This will help your doctor too, I think.

I don't know if that's what your problem is. It may not be your sugar levels. This is something you should talk over with your doctor.

corbysmom531
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:40 PM

The only carbs that I'm eating are carbs that are in fruits and veggies.  I don't eat corn, but I've been instructed to eat oatmel due to cholesterol issues.  But I got the rolled oats, so there's tons more fiber in those.  Should I give that up too?

I'm waiting for my appt this week to get an rx for a meter so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for the strips.  A friend of mine let me borrow hers though, so I was able to test since lunch today.  My mom bought me these fiber capsules that are a "glucose management system".  I took them right before dinner, and my numbers are very low, so I think they worked.  :)  An hour after dinner my sugar is 112!  The only problem is that I have to take seven of them before I eat.  I don't feel dizzy or nauseated right now either.  Because of that, I'm pretty sure it's a sugar issue.  Part of me wants to keep taking these pills, but another part of me wants to go without them tomorrow so I can test my sugar and see what happens.  I just started recording everything I eat, so hopefully on Wednesday, I'll have a little bit more info for the doc.  Thanks for the info!!!

Quoting Seventhsail:

I used to get that feeling a lot too. Primarily because I was eating a lot of sugar-laden foods. And this is when I was on what I thought was a healthy diet. But I had a lot of carbs in it (breads, oatmeal, corn). When I read up on the right foods to eat and what to avoid I started feeling better.

Do you have a meter? If you do, you may want to start testing regularly, to see how foods affect you. I would test just before I ate and two hours after I ate. And I ate several small meals throughout the day instead of three big ones. Keep a food log and take that to your doctor. Write down everything you eat, what time you ate it, and if you've got a meter, what your readings were. I also wrote down how I felt. This will help your doctor too, I think.

I don't know if that's what your problem is. It may not be your sugar levels. This is something you should talk over with your doctor.

holding ornaments              christmas tree        

Merry Christmas!!!

BonnieC
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:51 PM

I dont have an answer for you but I feel your pain :(

MakaylasMommy25
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 12:00 AM

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17. I am now 26 and was diagnosed pre-diabetic/ insulin resistant in 2007. About a year after my daughter was born. We were able to conceive naturally but it took over 3 years of unprotected sex to get pregnant because of my wacky menstrual cycles.I know how you feel.

I'm not sure what lies ahead of you but I have to take 1000 mg extended release metformin daily to make my body use the insulin it makes. It could be worse. I get shaky and faintish too if I don't eat every few hours or try and skip a meal. I am overweight too. I have always been pudgy since I was a young teen. The day before my daughter was born in March 2006, the scale read 291. My weight hasn't been down much since then. If you ever need to talk you can contact me. I know where you are coming from.

Madrepor2ndavez
by on Dec. 26, 2008 at 3:25 AM
Hello all: my experience have been: for many years my doctor kept telling me my sugars were high, to try to eat better so I didn't become diabetic. Well this is not a sickness that runs in my family, and I was used to my sugary snacks. Well about 5 or 6 years I was dignosed with type 2 , which is managed with diet, and metforming. I don't do good on diets, but have changed my sugar eating habits, and at the beginning I was told to check my sugars for at least a month the following way: before breakfast, then take the metforming, and 2 hours after breakfast,test again, same for lunch and dinner, and 1 time before bedtime. The metforming was split between the morning dose before breakfast, and after dinner at night. I have changed the times only when I cannot take the med, for some reason on time, but do take twice a day. I also have acid reflux so I need to take zantac with the medicines I take, or else the reflux makes me feel really bad. I have had a sugar low of 76, and 89, twice, and it has been related to being more thant 4 hrs without eating, i started to shake, and to sweat a lot. I now try to eat aarount 3 and 1/2 hours, not one whole meal, but cut down on the bad stuff, I am going to try more of the weight lost starting at the beeginning of the year, and to excersie, which I don't like, but realize that it has to be part of my life from now on, because I got a scary incident, with being given prenisone, for pneumonia, and it kept my sugars high, and I ended up in the ER, and the doctor told me that ANY DIABETIC THAT IS GIVEN PREDNISONE, OR THE SAME TYPE OF MED, GETS THAT HAPPENING TO THEM. Be aware that when you don't feel well, your readings would be higher, so act accordingly, until you feel better to go back into your regular routine. It was a big blow to me to find out I had diabetes, because no one in my family had ever had it, high blood preasure runs in my family, and I expected that to happen, but now I also have a higher cholesterol, and it all comes to what I eat. I am here if anyone wants to talk. Good luck, and follow your dr. instructions, and if you don't like what you are hearing, a second opinion is always the best medicine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)