• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prediabetes mom with a Type 1 son

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:56 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 289 Total Views

Hey. I normally don't do intros when I join groups..but hey, everyday is a new one right?

I don't techincally have diabetes-I had gestational and was on insulin with my dd (now 8 months old). Since then I've been doing occasional fasting checks, and this last month nothing's been under 100-highest was 160, so I'm guessing prediabetes. It was an eye-opener, and I've since changed my eating habits-lost 6 lbs so far and fasting was 103 this morning. But I know this will be a lifelong struggle. (very strong family history of diabetes)

I also have a 5 year old ds with Type 1 diabetes. He's not ready for a pump yet, but we seem to have good control (ha-is there every really good control?) with multiple injections. I joined other support groups on here, but I'm really interested in reading about people who are actually living with juvenile diabetes themselves. I feel it will give me a lot of insight on how to deal with my son. If you have any tips that you wish your parents knew-please fill me in.

I look forward to bugging you all : )

God loves everyone, but probably prefers 'fruits of the spirit' over 'religious nuts'.
He who angers you controls you.
God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.
God Himself does not propose to judge a man until he is dead.  So why should you?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PurpleAndTeal
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Never, ever let diabetes limit what you want to accomplish in life!  YOU manage IT, it doesn't manage you!

I've been type 1 for 32 years.  Everyone in my family is diabetic, parents and 4 children.  2 of us are Type 1.  4 have had heart bypass surgery.  I've used a pump for 9 years, and it is the most wonderful thing they have invented so far.

Diabetes is always an artificial balance between food, meds, and activity to keep your BG (blood glucose) levels in a decent range.  It will NEVER be as good as the original operation God intended.  Don't be discouraged by all the ups and downs. 

For an excellent resource on food and how it affects our bodies, read Sugar Busters.  It is extremely useful information for anyone connected with diabetes.  NOT ALL CARBS ARE CREATED EQUAL.

STAY ACTIVE.  Physical activity helps your body be more sensitive to insulin.

Never be afraid to research and use natural supplements such as herbs, minerals, and vitamins.  You probably won't ever hear those suggestions from an MD, but they do help.  For yourself, look into cinnamon.  Taking fish oil will reduce your cholesterol and triglyceride levels, which all diabetics need to be aware of.  There is abundant, reliable information on many supplements to aid a diabetic in staying healthy.

Blessings to you!

SouthernMommy06
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I have been Type 1 for 19 years, since i was 5 years old. I had swelling in the fluid of my brain and had a seizure at sea world and my parents were given the option either drill a hole in my skull or give me steriods to reduce the pressure, and my dad choice was the steriods, and my mom feels thats what partially contributed to my diabetes. She also feels its genetic. My grandpa had it and so does my great aunt.

I wear the paradigm 715 with the bolus wizard that i tell my BG, how many carbs im eating and it tells me how much insulin to take, no more math, no more calculations, its a life saver. Ive gone almost 20 years with injections and im so glad thats over. When i was pregnant my A1C was 6.5 and Now its around mid 7s which isnt too bad but could be better. I am having some problems with my teeth and am having oral surgery in may to have 4 teeth extracted. (ah!) Diabetes is a hard road, and dont ever let it get you down like i did, i wished i was normal like my friends, and i quit taking care of myself and i ended up in the hospital with and A1C of over 13 and almost died. Im in way better control now thanks to the pump, but this is a diesase that needs your un failing attention

racheljessee
by owner on Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:43 AM

Hi!  Glad to have you here!  Im sorry to hear about your son.  I've had diabetes since I was 6 years old, and it's always been a struggle, but my advice to you would just be to keep a sharp eye on those blood sugars and try to get him on the pump as soon as he is able. 

1traciw
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Welcome to the group! I hope that you find the information and resources that you need here. www.diabeticparents.org is also a great site to check out.

soccerchik8287
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Hi! I have had diabetes for 11yrs (since I was 10) and also have 3 siblings with type 1. My youngest sister was diagnosed when she was 2yrs old, and started on the pump around age 3. Now all of us have the pump. Honestly the pump makes a HUGE difference. My siblings with diabetes are 17, 11, and 8 right now and all have very good control, and HBA1C's of around 6. We are so lucky to live in this day and age where there are so many medical advances being made. It is now possible to have type 1 diabetes and be just as healthy as any other person. One thing that our family has always done is to make sure everyone realizes that they have diabetes, diabetes does not have them, or control their lives. Make sure your son knows that he is not weird, or strange because he has it (that was hard for me when I was younger!). My siblings always did a show and tell at the beginning of the school year to teach the other kids in their classes (and the teachers) what diabetes is and what they have to do to monitor their diabetes. The kids in my 8yr old brothers class are so cute, they will ask him what his blood sugar is and then say "oh that is a little high" or "just right" and things like that. I was very self conscious with diabetes when I was younger and thought I must have done something wrong to have it, so it is very important not to make to big of a deal about it. Kids can have diabetes and lead very normal lives. :)

Hali_Taylor
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 9:26 PM
hey, i'm sorry about your son... i have type one myself but i don't know how i would deal with my child having it. i was diagnosed when i was 16 so i never had to experience it in my childhood but i can say that if you get him started with good habits now he'll be blessed in the future. i would keep trying for the pump i've heard lots of good about it.
shabby.chic
by on Apr. 13, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Thanks for all the replies! Sometimes I feel like I make too big a deal about my son's diabetes cause I meet adults with Type 1, and they act like it's no big deal. But I do think it's different for the parents, cause we hate to see our babies hurt. I'm definately a momma bear when it comes to him. So as I'm reading ya'lls replies, all I can think of are your parents, and how they have dealt with it. From my own experience, it's heartbreaking. I think each of you are strong women to deal with what you do every single day. : ) Type 1 or 2, diabetes is so time consuming so kudos to you all.

PurpleAndTeal
by on Apr. 13, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Your child will take his cues from you on his attitude towards the big D.

DON'T SHOW HIM YOUR HEARTBREAK.  KEEP THINGS POSITIVE.  Like the other girl said with 4 kids in one family:  they have diabetes, it doesn't have them.

If you're a Christian:

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose

Romans 5: 3 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;  4 perseverance, character; and character, hope.  5 And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

James 1:2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,  3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him

God NEVER wastes our pain.

He is more interested in our CHARACTER than our COMFORT.

There are things that you can ONLY learn by going through problems.

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Remember that everything Job (in the Old Testament) suffered came from SATAN, but that God allowed (HE did NOT author it) it.  Why?  Satan thought he could win an argument with God, that a man would turn his back on and curse God if all the blessings were taken away, but God CHOSE Job as his champion to prove Satan wrong.  Satan can never defeat God's purposes; God will ALWAYS turn everything around for our good and His glory.  You may not always see the results, but that's where faith comes in.  Abraham was promised that his descendents would number like the stars in the sky, but he only saw a few children and grandchildren.  But his faith was credited to him as righteousness.

Hang in there!  Look for every silver lining in every cloud.  Count your many blessings, no matter how small.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)