• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can anyone explain hemagloben to me

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 434 Total Views

My doctor called me and said mine 6.5 which they said was very high.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
imasurvivor
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM

A hemoglobin A1C is a test they do to check to see what your over all/average blood sugars have been for the past 3 months. 

http://www.diabetes.org/type-1-diabetes/a1c-test.jsp

http://www.pamf.org/diabetes/HemoglobinA1c.pdf

Marilynn76
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:54 PM

All I know is that if you are diabetic they want the Hemoglobin under 7%. Mine is currently 6%, I am not on insulin, I take metformin 3 times a day.

PurpleAndTeal
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Get a new doctor, one who specializes in diabetes and/or endocrinology.  You have to find someone who is immersed in this to get good care.  It's not a "textbook" disease.

HA1C should be 6 or under for non-diabetics, anything under 7 is good for diabetics.

Congratulate yourself!

Here's from a medical website:

Glycated Hemoglobin

Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c or H1Ac), also called glycated hemoglobin, is measured periodically to determine the average blood-sugar level over the life span of the red blood cell, which is about 8 to 10 weeks. In general, measurements suggest the following:

• Normal HbA1c levels should be below 7%.
  • Levels of 11% to 12% glycolated hemoglobin indicate poor control of carbohydrates. High levels are also markers for kidney trouble.
LyTe684
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Shes right. OP, did a regular doctor or an Endo tell you this? Are you already diabetic or pre/borderline diabetic?

Quoting PurpleAndTeal:

Get a new doctor, one who specializes in diabetes and/or endocrinology. You have to find someone who is immersed in this to get good care. It's not a "textbook" disease.

HA1C should be 6 or under for non-diabetics, anything under 7 is good for diabetics.

Congratulate yourself!

Here's from a medical website:

Glycated Hemoglobin

Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c or H1Ac), also called glycated hemoglobin, is measured periodically to determine the average blood-sugar level over the life span of the red blood cell, which is about 8 to 10 weeks. In general, measurements suggest the following:

• Normal HbA1c levels should be below 7%.
  • Levels of 11% to 12% glycolated hemoglobin indicate poor control of carbohydrates. High levels are also markers for kidney trouble.

If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, you can rest assured that the water bill is higher there too! ~Maya Angelou

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)