Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Life insurance

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 3:48 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 231 Total Views

My hubby gets life insurance with his work, and recently they switched to a new company and ended our old policy. This new company required all this info on our health and stuff like that. I of course wrote in it that I was diabetic, but then also had to write my weight, height, and get a physical to say I am in great health. Well I just got a letter back from them saying I was denied because I am diabetic. I am super pissed off by it. I've had type 1 for the past 11yrs and my highest HBA1C ever was like 7 and that was back around when I was diagnosed. Since that time I have had great #'s. BUT they did not even ask for that type of information. All the form said is do you have diabetes, and I put yes. They do not know if it is type 1 or 2, do not know how good controlled it is or anything. I spoke with my doctor about it and he offered to write a letter saying my diabetes is so well controlled that I am at no more risk than any other person my age to develop kidney or heart issues (or any other type of thing they consider diabetes to put you high risk at). But the insurance company still is like sorry we do not cover diabetes it is to risky for us.

So I am wondering, has any one found any good life insurance companies that do cover you with your diabetes? It's stupid that a person who drinks and drives drunk can get covered (like my hubby's real dad - who died from a heart attack caused by an accident he got into while driving drunk) but I can not get covered because I have an autoimmune disease. Grrrr......why is it legal for them to discriminate? :(

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
julie148
by admin on Jun. 22, 2009 at 1:42 AM

im sorryfeel betterSOON.   IF ONLY WE HAD THE POWER TO CHANGE WHAT REALLY NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.  JMO.   

rosepetal209
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 2:06 AM

I have been a type 1 diabetic for almost 29 years (since I was 9 years old). I have never been able to get life insurance. I dont think its fair. I have 6 children and am really upset that I cant afford to leave them anything when I die!

The only way I have found for anyone with diabetes to get life insurance is to buy it by the unit. It is incredibly expensive to buy it that way hence the reason I dont have it.

The cost is something like $2-$5 a unit and it takes 100 units to equal like $10,000 payout upon death..so basically you will pay between $200 - $500 every month for each $10,000 you want to leave your loved ones.

Like we arent being punished enough for having diabetes now we have to pay through the nose for it to? Seems a little prejudice to me.

1traciw
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 9:41 AM

I understand. We've been in the same boat getting my husband insured. Luckily he works for a good company that covers you based on your years worked, not your health. But $250,000 if he dies? Frustrating. That only pays off the house and buries him. So I totally know how you feel. Expect to pay a lot to get him insured, or only get less than what you need. We go through Allstate and we actually found a $500,000 policy to be expensive, but still reasonable for those with a pre existing condition like diabetes. We do all of our other auto and home insurance through them which qualified us. Hopefully that helps...

RyansMommie07
by on Jul. 2, 2009 at 12:08 AM

where i work covers me, but from what i understand its only because im the primary carrier of the insurance that they have to cover me and i think its only like a 50,000 policy. i cant get aflac or anything though cuz of the diabetes, although i have it for dh and ds. go figure. they'll take my money til im blue in the face but only give a little bit if my family needs it. i work in the er, so i see alot of the "bad diabetics" come in, and just because i understand their reasoning doesnt mean i agree with it at all. they should at least go by a scale or soething, like avg glucose level, hba1c levels, and comorbidities so that healthy people who just happen to be diabetic can still have peace of mind for their family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)