Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here, meter question

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:15 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 221 Total Views

Hi I'm new to the group, not new to diabetes. I have been a type 2 diabetic since 2004. I am one of those girls that love love loves to eat, so naturally diabetes frusterates me on a daily basis! My question is: Which meter do you have, and why is it your fav? I have used Accu-Check (hate it!) and freestyle (love it!) and my Dr. wants me to use a precision because it tests ketones too. What's your opinion?

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
yellowroseslh
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I use and LOVE my One Touch Ultra mini.
have it in 3 coloras actually pink, silver and
purple.

You can get a FREE meter just fill out the
information and it will take about 6-8 weeks
(maybe sooner) to arrive.

The One Touch meters are all I have ever used
I have been a diabetic sine August 2005.

And for the record I FULLY understand the
loving food part, that has been a big issue
for me this year and my diabetes went WAY
out of control now I am on insulin to try to bring
it back into control.

logkai
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Thanks for your reply! I went to that site and its not offered in Canada! But I'll se what I can dig up. I really liked one touch for the colors they offered, but I don't want to buy a meter based on looks. I want accuracy, and smaller blood drops for testing. I kind of don't know what each has to offer, maybe I should make a poll?

yellowroseslh
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Thats a bummer that it isn't offered in Canada.

As for the Ultra mini being accurate it is and
using a small drop it does. I have been using
the One Touch meters since the beginning of
my diabetes in August 2005.

Quoting logkai:

Thanks for your reply! I went to that site and its not offered in Canada! But I'll se what I can dig up. I really liked one touch for the colors they offered, but I don't want to buy a meter based on looks. I want accuracy, and smaller blood drops for testing. I kind of don't know what each has to offer, maybe I should make a poll?

logkai
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 11:56 PM

I found an offer for a free meter, you have to buy the strips (I think)...they are going to send me the coupon. Thanks!!!

mom2boys1997
by on Sep. 10, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Thank you for the link about the free meter. I ordered one.  Hopefully the stripswill not be too expensive. I buy insulin over the counter and pay full price.

Since we moved I am on a waiting list to see a doctor. Doctors accepting new patients are in such demand that you have to wait for an apt. I have not seen a doc since March and my strips ran out. I can only afford stripes or insulin but not both.

Mom2Jack04
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM

I also use the One Touch Mini.....don't like the case it came with so I use another one, but I like the meter as a whole.  It's pretty inexpensive, only about $15 in stores. 

LyTe684
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I wanted the One Touch Ultra Mini thing.. But I use a OneTouch UltraLink, as it comminucates with my Insulin Pump. Way more convenient. I've tried other brands, but none of them are as good as the One Touch brand. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)