Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When Did you Seek Help?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2009 at 6:58 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 203 Total Views

I have noticed that I am depressed. I am not eating well, rarely want to leave the house... I am generally down. My husband has really noticed that I am not the same person as pre-pregnancy. When did you know it was time to see a doctor?

by on Jan. 18, 2009 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RagingDemocrat
by on Jan. 19, 2009 at 9:48 PM

About four months after my son was born.  I had finally hit rock bottom emotionally and figured it couldn't get worse be seeking help.  Yeah, I was a little embarassed I had to seek it but what are the other options?  Be miserable and secluded or possibly get some relieve through either support groups or medication....hmmm....I chose the second but I did have to conquer my pride first.

Pregnant?  Postpartum?

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/78435 to talk about the good, the bad, and the just plain weird things that come along with a growing uterus and all of its aftermath. 

Live in Genesee or Lapeer County, Michigan?

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/26344 to discuss all the local events and happenings in our local group.

mmtosam06
by Group Owner on Jan. 20, 2009 at 10:24 AM

until i can get insured help for me is a dream atm but i figured it out when i wasnt keeping up w/the house when my dd was younger & the fact i only wanted to sleep still have those days but im trying

RagingDemocrat
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Quoting mmtosam06:

until i can get insured help for me is a dream atm but i figured it out when i wasnt keeping up w/the house when my dd was younger & the fact i only wanted to sleep still have those days but im trying

My insurance covered three visits a year but required that two of them be used with referred shrinks to dicuss medications that I couldn't take so I really only had one a year and still had to pay a $30 copay.  Insurance companies are heartless idiots.

Pregnant?  Postpartum?

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/78435 to talk about the good, the bad, and the just plain weird things that come along with a growing uterus and all of its aftermath. 

Live in Genesee or Lapeer County, Michigan?

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/26344 to discuss all the local events and happenings in our local group.

mmtosam06
by Group Owner on Feb. 10, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Quoting RagingDemocrat:

Quoting mmtosam06:

My insurance covered three visits a year but required that two of them be used with referred shrinks to dicuss medications that I couldn't take so I really only had one a year and still had to pay a $30 copay.  Insurance companies are heartless idiots.

Wow that does suck mama im sorry

moore_me03
by New Member on Feb. 11, 2009 at 2:28 AM

I still haven't gotten help but it's a whole heck of a lot better....it got so bad...I had a breakdown.....I was about 2 months post partum...DD was 1 and DS was 2 months....all of a sudden, I had to leave the house....and I went outside....I didn't want to go back into the house.....so I asked one of my neighbors if I could use her phone (to call DF and tell him to hurry up and come home) and if she could go in and sit with my kids....she called the front office and the courtesy officer came....I thought I was going crazy!!! I talked to some family members and they all said that I just needed a break...so I ran away, with my two kids, to stay with a friend until someone from home (I live in another state from my family; I had no help...just me, DF, and 2 kids...no family....just 1 not so close friend and DF worked all of the time) could come and pick me up....I left my house with nothing....NOTHING...just the clothes on our backs....that's how bad it was!!! DF came home to an empty house and I didn't have my cellphone with me so he thought that I'd done something to the kids...he called the police...the police were looking for me....luckily, the friend, who came to pick me up, worked for the police department so she told them that the kids and I were fine.....I went and stayed with some family members for a little bit...I'd been telling DF that I didn't feel like myself...that I was depressed and crying all of the time....not keeping house....wanting to be left alone....but he just kept saying, "get over it...get over it...." well, he understands now....I don't take any medicine....I didn't want to because of the side effects....so I've been looking into natural ways to combat depression and I hear really good things about St. John's Wort so I'm going to try that....and I pray and am more religious now...and, thank God, it's working!!!

mmtosam06
by Group Owner on Feb. 11, 2009 at 9:46 PM

thats all i hear  from dh is "get over it" its not something that you can just get over hugs to you

Quoting moore_me03:

I still haven't gotten help but it's a whole heck of a lot better....it got so bad...I had a breakdown.....I was about 2 months post partum...DD was 1 and DS was 2 months....all of a sudden, I had to leave the house....and I went outside....I didn't want to go back into the house.....so I asked one of my neighbors if I could use her phone (to call DF and tell him to hurry up and come home) and if she could go in and sit with my kids....she called the front office and the courtesy officer came....I thought I was going crazy!!! I talked to some family members and they all said that I just needed a break...so I ran away, with my two kids, to stay with a friend until someone from home (I live in another state from my family; I had no help...just me, DF, and 2 kids...no family....just 1 not so close friend and DF worked all of the time) could come and pick me up....I left my house with nothing....NOTHING...just the clothes on our backs....that's how bad it was!!! DF came home to an empty house and I didn't have my cellphone with me so he thought that I'd done something to the kids...he called the police...the police were looking for me....luckily, the friend, who came to pick me up, worked for the police department so she told them that the kids and I were fine.....I went and stayed with some family members for a little bit...I'd been telling DF that I didn't feel like myself...that I was depressed and crying all of the time....not keeping house....wanting to be left alone....but he just kept saying, "get over it...get over it...." well, he understands now....I don't take any medicine....I didn't want to because of the side effects....so I've been looking into natural ways to combat depression and I hear really good things about St. John's Wort so I'm going to try that....and I pray and am more religious now...and, thank God, it's working!!!

moore_me03
by New Member on Feb. 27, 2009 at 5:28 AM

**HUGS** I swear it isn't....I've been looking into natural ways and besides St. John's Wort...I've heard great things about Bee Pollen balancing hormones....I'll be praying for you because God is what got me through the hard times...

Quoting mmtosam06:

thats all i hear  from dh is "get over it" its not something that you can just get over hugs to you

Quoting moore_me03:

mmtosam06
by Group Owner on Feb. 27, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Thanks mama i can sure use prayers

Quoting moore_me03:

**HUGS** I swear it isn't....I've been looking into natural ways and besides St. John's Wort...I've heard great things about Bee Pollen balancing hormones....I'll be praying for you because God is what got me through the hard times...

Quoting mmtosam06:

Quoting moore_me03:

Carefree08
by Member on Apr. 13, 2009 at 2:47 AM

I took Hypothalmex and Symplex F by Standard Process Inc. It helps regulate your hormones. It worked well for me.

Quoting moore_me03:

Quoting mmtosam06:

Quoting moore_me03:

Carefree08
by Member on Apr. 13, 2009 at 2:48 AM

It took me 3 months to realize it, but it sounds like you have ppd. The baby blues is alittle different. I would have it checked to make sure. You can ask your gino.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)