Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Joined.... Need advice

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 536 Total Views

Hello there - My almost 7 year old daughter was sexually abused at a daycare when she was 2, and we never sought therapy.  Our daughter told us the name of the person and "touched my private and no one should" since I had taught her a name for it and that no one should touch it around the time we were potty training her.  When she learned to draw people she drew some pictures that depicted a private area in 4 year old preschool.  The courts told us there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute.  Meanwhile, I notice that when she gets upset or angry she will pull her pants down or otherwise show me her private.  She almost did it today while walking along a busy street during a tantrum!  I don't know if I should seek out the advice of a child psych who specializes in abuse cases (I have the name of one but shitty insurance which is one reason I never pursued it before), or her pediatrician.  Today I didn't allow myself to show that I was upset, I asked her if she was hot, etc. when she pulled her pants down in the car and left them down... eventually when she knew we'd sit there forever she put them back on. 

I worry...

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ClaireSilva
by Group Owner on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Hello!  To be acting out so strong at this point, are you sure she has not been violated again?  I think asking her direct questions, "has anyone touched/harmed you" is the best route. 

Yes - I would find a good therapist.  Sometimes you can battle with insurance companies to cover the sessions.  I think most insurance companies would want to say publicly that they would cover such cases (but you may have to threaten that you'll go public if they don't)

~Claire

Author of   A Child's Heart Speaks: Surviving Sexual Abuse

MommyOfCDLY
by on Aug. 26, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Maybe there is a free counseling service in  your area or one that bases on income.  My son and I saw counselors at a free counseling service for awhile.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)