Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I teach my daughter....

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 2:06 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 683 Total Views

I am looking for suggestions on how to teach my daughters about these types of dangers.  I am a survivor of sexual abuse as a child and in my adult years.  It really has a long lasting effect on your life and I don't want her to have to go through the same issues. 

I was never taught about these dangers or to tell if something like this happened.  My daughter is 3 but has the mentality and the vocabulary of a 5 or 6 year old.  She is extremely bright and learns things very quickly.  ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you ladies!

by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 2:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mom3sbb
by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 9:02 PM

I would just teach her about good and bad touches. Something she would understand.

ClaireSilva
by Group Owner on Oct. 17, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Hi Melody!

Perps operate in a few different ways...  some will buy presents & have sexual abuse be the secret, others will use power, force, fear and control & others will warp reality for a child.  So how you protect your daughter is to be on the look out for all types of perps...

Let your daughter know that she needs to tell you immediately if anyone scares her.  One of the cops in our case had used that with his daughter & he felt that it helped the parents keep a closer eye on who could potentially be a perp.

The more you know about perps - the better you can protect your child!

Claire

Author of   A Child's Heart Speaks: Surviving Sexual Abuse

MelodyLG
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2008 at 1:33 AM

Thank you ladies.  I appreciate the info.  It's not an easy subject for me.  I've worked with pre-schoolers for as long as I can remember but this is just one thing that really worries me, b/c I want to get this one right on the first try.  Although I do know that I have to teach it and re-teach it over and over again.  I guess it's just a little scarier b/c of the personal experience.  Anyways, thanks again for the input.  Have a wonderful and blessed week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)