Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Problems again

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2008 at 11:31 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 759 Total Views

My son was in counseling last year and we all agreed...his counselor and us that he no longer needed it. I got a call from him school last Thursday from the Principal. He took one of my sharp steak knifes to school! He was doing so well and then he goes and does something like this! So anyways hes grounded and last night I went into his room...he was destroying the paint...the NEW paint...that my mom and I spent hours painting for him! I am at such a loss...if hes taking a knife to school at 9 what am I supposed to expect at 15!!!!! Help!!!!!!!

Group Owner of Sale Your Items To Other Tulsa,OK Moms ~
http://www.cafemom.com/group/tulsaitems

~*~Group Admin of The Christmas Station~*~
http://www.cafemom.com/group/24945

by on Nov. 24, 2008 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Goodwoman614
by on Nov. 25, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Sounds to me like he is crying out... if this started as soon as counseling was discontinued, it may be that he thought of going to counseling as a safety net.  Even if he didn't SEEM to be getting anything from it, or SEEMED to no longer "need" it, going may have been a lifeline to HIM.

My brother went and got himself in trouble as soon as court-ordered counseling was discontinued.  I think he did it on purpose (even if he was not aware of it at the time) b/c he felt the counselor was at least a chance for him to feel supported, heard, understood, etc.  Kids, maybe especially boys, do not always know how to process feelings or discuss them, but they do get a lot from being around others who can, and offer a safe, sympathetic environment.

I would recommend looking around for another counselor.  Maybe not one that will be looked at as fixing something wrong with him, but as a supportive person to take an interest and be supportive of whatever is going on in his life.

Big Brothers would also work to this end.

Sometimes, ppl outside the family are seen as safer and more accessible to kids.

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)