Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Med options?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:06 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 226 Total Views

Morri seems to be doing well with the Neurontin so far..  I've only seen seizure activity once since starting it, an episode of rapid blinking...  Didn't last super long.  maybe 10 seconds.    

My question is I'm wondering what med options there will be available to me if the dr I'm going to for the second opinion decided that I do infact also have epilepsy?    I've tried Topamax, was on it for migraine control, and I just couldn't handle it!  I couldn't get above 25 mg with out serious loss of language and painful tingling.   And being on it for 4 mo at 25 mg, I started to loose weight drasticaly (and I"m a tiny girl..) and there's not a lot of food options available to me to "bulk up" on meds to keep the weight on.  I'm gluten/dairy/soy/corn/oat/peanut/pineapple free most of the time..    What are all the adult options and the side effects for them??

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
LIZARD66
by Group Owner on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Hey, Mel. :)

Any AED used for kids can be used for adults (as far as I'm aware); the only diff is dose/formula. Different AEDs are used for different types of szs, so IDing the specific type of sz is an important part of choosing the med, but what works or doesn't (or which ones result in annoying effects and which don't) is a crapshoot. It's not unusual to try a few different ones before hitting paydirt.

huggingand good luck

LIZARD :)

43 yo mom with lifelong epilepsy and other neuro and autoimmune issues, and owner of Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders. Self-advocacy is VITAL to your existence, and it saved my life! Any questions at anytime, please ask!! :)

group hug

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)