Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Faking seizures

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 671 Total Views

I have a nephew that is constantly having seizures and is constantly taken to the E.R. room. I do know that he has often faked seizures when something does not go his way,has literally pulled the wire to the monitor he had in his chest out and threw it across the room when he felt it was not working. He calls me every time he goes to the hospital E.R. room,calls all of the family whenever he does go,upsetting them to the point where he comes across like he is dying. The last call I received before today,last week,he was faking crying. I feel he does this for attention,he has them taking the same tests as the previous visit,and has people feeding him,etc. It has got to the point that when he calls I ask him what hospital are you in now? As soon as he get out he calls me and wants to go out to dinner,to "celebrate". This is a fifty six year old man,and I don't know why the doctors won't believe me when I tell them he is faking these seizures,and I end up looking like I don't care.Anyone have a similar problem?

by on Jul. 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LIZARD66
by Group Owner on Jul. 28, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Do you really KNOW that he's faking, and if so, how? Anyone can develop szs at any age, and they can take any number of forms and degrees. I had episodes in clusters for 25 years that we didn't know were szs. You don't have to be unconscious or "foaming at the mouth" to have a sz.

If you are certain he really is faking, just ignore him. It's the only way to stop attention-getting behavior--in anyone of any age.

LIZARD :)

43 yo mom with lifelong epilepsy and other neuro and autoimmune issues, and owner of Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders. Self-advocacy is VITAL to your existence, and it saved my life! Any questions at anytime, please ask!! :)

group hug

madeia
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I know that he does fake seizures as I had him living with me from age 16 to 18,and when I took him to the doctor for an appointment he looked as if ready to fall,when the doctor reached to help him he then laughed at him. Also,when he did not want to do something I asked of him,he would threaten to have a seizure,believe me,I am not an uncaring person,I love my nephew,but reality is what it is.

alyssaravensmom
by on Jan. 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Wow. That really is terrible. My cousin faked a seizure once at school so he could go home. His dad was refusing to pick him up, because he knew he was going to fake one since he told him he was going to that day, but the nurse made him come pick him up anyway. That is just sad. He probably is just looking for attention. I would just tell him to eff off and wish him a good life lol.

Mipsy
by Member on Jan. 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM
The really sad thing about this is one day something really bad may happen and no one will be there at his side cuz they dont believe him. =/ this really is sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Member on Jan. 14, 2011 at 9:54 AM
Also, I have a niece who I bet will grow up and be like this. She has gi issues and absence seizures and is constantly the center of attention. She lives it. Her brother had to have surgery on his teeth and she pitched a fit and was the worst brat ever cuz he was getting attention. Its horrible. But her mother made her this way. =/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cammie1031
by New Member on Jun. 11, 2011 at 8:15 PM
I'm going through this with my sister in law right now. She's 21 and had her first child almost 2 yrs ago. Shortly after she began faking seizures and was visiting hospital
after hospital on the regular. After having multiple test come back negative they finally diagnosed her with Conversion Disorder. (Meaning, she makes "shit" up.) Even though the whole family knows the truth...she's back in the hospital for the 5th time. Unfortunately, it's her daughter that suffers the most. She can't be trusted around her because of the stuff she pulls. The family is at constant war because of this also. I haven't heard anyone else with a similar problem...so forgive me when I say that it's nice to know we aren't the only ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN