Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have to vent!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 245 Total Views

My home town Walgreens gave me some elses prescription yesterday. I'm so glad I noticed the name, had I not, I would have followed dosing instuctions and given my daughter double her perscribed does of trileptol ?sp? Its the same medication but different dosing. I've been so sick to my stomach since then, just the possibilities of what may have happend. I've heard horror stories about children getting more then their recomended dosing, going into shock, or commatose. I raised quite the stink about it. some say I went overboard but really, it was my daughters life and all Im asking of them is to do their jobs!!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mipsy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM
I hear ya momma!!! I would have pitched a fit!!! They are messing with peoples lives!!! They get sloppy and just don't care.

A few weeks ago our son was sick and on augmentin. We picked the prescription up and I went to give it to him and it was powder. Luckily Ty has been sick so often I knew that wasn't right and we didn't have the stuff to mix it so we had to take it back to them. But if it were a parent whose child is rarely sick, who is to say they wouldn't have just given them the powder and in turn overdose them!!! That's what pissed me off. They put my Childs life in danger!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:58 PM
That just happened to a pregnant lady in FL! They gave her a prescription for someone with a similar name and it was a Chemo drug instead of an antibiotic!! They don't know if the baby is going to be okay or not.

Such a good reminder to always double check!! Scary!!!!

SO glad your daughter is okay!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SareyF
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:02 PM
Either our drs office or our pharmacy messed up when dds script was called in and instead of 2.5 pills 2x/day it said to take 5 2x/day. Five extra pills than she needed! Its scary they make such mistakes but as the parent it's our job to know exactly what's going on and question everything that's off.
I'm glad you caught the mistake but sorry you had to deal with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fireangels2
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Awesome job for checking Mama!

I am on 3 meds daily for seizures and migraines. Every time I get my scripts filled I pull the bottles out right there at the counter to check that they really are my scripts before I even leave. Then when I get home I open the bottles and check the pills to make sure that they are the right ones and count them out. Some might say it's overkill, but it's my life that we're talking about. I have worked in health care for 12 years and both my parents are nurses with my dad having over 30 years experience, I've been trained well not to mess around where my or my children's health in concerned.

I think there really is no such thing as "too careful."

LIZARD66
by Group Owner on Feb. 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM

We should all be horrified at this. Years ago, I went back onto phenobarb at 12 yo after a breakthrough sz and was initially on nearly THREE TIMES the dose I should have been. :( It took about a week for my parents to figure it out and get it corrected, but I'll never forget what a stupor I was in. It's a miracle I survived. :(

LIZARD

43 yo mom with lifelong epilepsy and other neuro and autoimmune issues, and owner of Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders. Self-advocacy is VITAL to your existence, and it saved my life! Any questions at anytime, please ask!! :)

group hug

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)