Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi everyone :)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 147 Total Views

Hi everyone. My name is Beth. I just looked up this group and found you guys. I have been researching things on the internet for the past few days and just want to smack my head on my keyboard out of frustration! Lol. Let me introduce myself first. Haha. Again, Im Beth. I have Epilepsy. I am 7 weeks pregnant. This will be my third child. I wasn't diagnosed with Epilepsy until after my 2nd was born. After I had him is when I started to have seizures. I take Keppra and Topomax to control my seizures.

Well, that's enough backstory for now. Do any of you have ANY experience in this at all?! I have been advised by my regular ob gyn and my high risk ob gyn to go completely off the Topomax because of the risk of Cleft Palate and Hair Lip. My neurologist decided as of yesterday that at eight weeks I need to INCREASE my Topomax. Help! Im sooo confused! Im in the process of getting a second opinion by the way. :) Thanks!

-Beth

by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mo-Mommy357
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Hi there, My son has epilepsy and has been on Keppra and is currently taking Topamax. He is not at a theraputic level right now put it seems to be okay with it. If your neuro wants to increase the Topamax due to the levels being low, but you have been okay with your siezures, I would take your OB/GYN advice.  

amylu82
by Member on Feb. 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Hun, i wasnt diagnosed until after my 3rd so i dont know what to tell you or how to help. But i DO hope you figure thigs out and you have a healthy pregnancy and i beautiful healthy baby. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
realmom04
by Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Hi Beth,

No experience but a couple of links from my favorite epilepsy site:

http://www.epilepsy.com/info/women_pregnancy

http://www.epilepsy.com/node/960973

Most women with epilepsy stay on some sort of med when they are pregant as the risks of the AEDs (and all have some) are generally considered of less concern than the risks caused by seizures.  Most women with epilepsy do have healthy babies despite the fact their risk is greater than the general population.  Topamax is considered amongst the least risky of the AEDs.  In general I would lean toward taking a neuro's advice on AEDs rather than ob gyn's just because I would think a neuro would have more expertise in this area.  But its your body and your baby so it makes sense to do the research. 

Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)