Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tripletal and Phenobarbital?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:35 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 283 Total Views

I am new to this, But I have a 6yr old that was diagnoised with epilepsy at the age of 11 months.He has been on phenobarbital since then but we have tried Keppra and Dilantin in between times which made him toxic so we went back to phenobarbital until now when we are adding Tripletal to the phenobarbital to hopefully get him switched over to just Tripletal as all his neurologists have ever told me is how bad phenobarbital is for kids. SO does anyone have any intake on these 2 medications and interactions? I know I am very scared about the rash,we start adding tripletal tommorow so I am a nervous wreck.Just looking for some insight on all this..

Thanks

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
ChutterButter
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Hi there :) I can't give you much insight into Trileptal but my son is now 10 months old and has been on Phenobarbital since he was 1 week old. We are now in the process of trying to switch him to Keppra because the possibility of the damage that the Phenobarb can cause. Aj's neurologist is concerned with the impact it can have on the liver as well as the possibility of it contributing to developmental delays. Phenobarb used to be the primary med used for infants and children but since there are many meds available now that weren't before many neuros try to stay away from it. 

I did a little looking and this is what I found to answer your question:

"Phenobarbital (Luminal)

Combining phenobarbital with Trileptal can increase the level of phenobarbital and decrease the level of Trileptal in your blood. If you are taking phenobarbital along with Trileptal, your healthcare provider may need to adjust your doses of these medications."

I found this information here: http://epilepsy.emedtv.com/trileptal/trileptal-drug-interactions-p2.html

Hope that helps and best of luck to you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN