Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello! New here

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 100 Total Views

Hello! I'm Barbie and I'm, obviously, new to the group. LOL

We are just starting the diagnosis process with our son, Liam - 12 (13 in 8 days).

I had the same problem at his age, absence (at the time called petit mal) seizures. My neurologist said it was genetic and probably linked to puberty and the surge in hormones. I was started on medication for the seizures (I was having between 50 and 80 a day) and regular visits with the neurologist. I did end up outgrowing my seizures, once I was through puberty. I had to wait longer to get a drivers license than all my friends (I was 19) but I have been seizure free since I was 17.

I was really hoping that I wouldn't pass this on to any of my children (we have 4 kids). But lately my son has been showing signs of having seizures. Yesterday was my "freak out" day. We were doing schoolwork (we homeschool) and I called him twice, he didn't answer and when I tapped him on the shoulder he didn't respond. It wasn't a long episode, only about half a minute, but enough for me to call his doctor ASAP. We are going to the pediatrician this morning for the referral to the neurologist.

I know what was done almost 20 years ago for testing (EEG's - multiple EEG's - gosh I hated that goop in my hair) but has the testing changed any? Do they do any other tests now that they didn't do then? I'm just trying to prepare my son for what is to come (he is scared and we've found the best way to deal with his fears is to tell him everything, right off the bat, that makes it less scary for him).

I'm feeling awful that I may have passed this on to my kids. I know that it is treatable, I've been through it before, but my heart just breaks... growing up with it is one thing, watching your child go through it hurts.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mipsy
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:42 AM

*hugs* the testing is all the same, still EEG's are the standard. Don't feel bad, you couldn't have prevented it and with him being around puberty it is likely he will outgrow it just as you did *hugs*

ddmalott
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I am like your son I freak out then calm down with information.  DD just had here first EEG 2 weeks ago, still waiting for the results :( her Dr said that depending one these results she may need an brain MRI.

momof3inTN
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM

We got through the pediatricians appointment. He's referring us on to a neurologist. So we'll go from there. We're just watching him carefully right now and he's on the buddy system (he doesn't go anywhere alone) - something that he's not thrilled with because he's only a week short of being 13 but he understands the reasons why he can't be alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN