Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adult onset epilepsy and marriage

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 137 Total Views

I recently found out. 

I am wondering how this has affected anyone's marriage. I mean so far things are okay, but I have realized that my husband really hasn't had time to process what is happening. 

I am lucky that I haven't had any massive seizures and got on meds that seem to be working.

Just curious of others experiences. 

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
cat331
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Hi

I've had epilepsy all my life and my husband took me for who
I am. He worries but doesn't show it. He treats me normal so I
even forget sometimes. Hopefullly when your husband digests
the info, he will just take it from there and be very supportive. I'm
here if you need to talk. I've had seiziures on and off for 30 years and
had brain surgery to only help myself.
MomofHDFandNWF
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Hello there,

I was given the diagnosis of Epilepsy because they can't figure out what else is "wrong" with me... I have suffered from Partial seizures for the last 3 years, and in that time have had 3 Grand Mal seizures as well - 2 of them in a 4 hour period that wound up having me hospitalized for 3 nights for observation and to get me regulated on anti-seizure medication. 

As far as how it has it has affected my marriage, my hubby was there and witnessed all my seizures.. and it has take a toll on him.  We had been married for 7 years before any of this started, so it is not something that he was "used to".  As a side note - he has been diagnosed with OCD w/an anxiety disorder, and as "the husband" he feels it is his job to "take care of me" which means he is constantly checking in to make sure I am taking my meds, getting enough sleep, and staying hydrated.  I have to remind myself he is not doing it because he is trying to nag me, but because he cares... and quite frankly, he doesn't want to have to go through me having another Grand Mal seizure.

My DD (7 yo) was also there for them and was a witness.  It has taken us a long time to get her "over it" and I still don't think she is.  Prime example - 3 weeks ago my DH was out of the country for a week and she told her grandmother she had to sleep "In Daddy's place" that way if I had a seizure during the night she would know and could call 911 to get me help.  So, even though she doesn't talk to me about it, while he was gone she did make sure to check on me that I was taking my meds.  It took us months to get her to sleep in her own room after I had my last Grand Mal because she was worried if I had another one during the night we would go to the hospital and not wake her up or take her with us.

It has been definitely a growing point in our marriage (and our family)... We are doing OK with it.  My hubby still worries, but tries not to "hound" me as much and tries to help more around the house so I can have my "down time" at night so I can get my rest.

Best of luck to you!

Sara

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)