Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trileptal anti seizure medication

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 382 Total Views

Hey Ladies--

My DS was diagnosed with BRE ( benign rolandic epilepsy) back in Oct 2012 and his neurologist didn't advise putting DS on any medication at that point. DS has now had 3 episodes since Aug 2012. His neurologist recommended today during our follow up ( ds had the 3rd episode yesterday morning) that he would like to start DS on medication. He suggested we start with Trileptal . Have any of your children been on it? What was the outcome ? Did seizure episodes lessen? What kind of side effects did your children have on the medication??

Thanks Ladies!

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
pittawadda
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I don't know about children. 

I am 29 and was just recently diagnosed with Temporal lobe epilepsy and started Trileptal. It has been great for me. I chose it because of the lack of side effects. My doctor has not had anyone in his care experience the lower electrolytes yet.

I experience simple to complex partial seizures. I started on Topamax with my primary doc before I saw a neurologist and I am almost off the topamax ( I really didn't like being on it). I feel normal now. 

So I personally like it. It works for me. But again, no idea with children. 

lukesmom06
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:57 AM

My son started on Trileptal when he was 2 I don't remember any side effects, it just wasn't stopping all of his seizures, so he was finally switched to Keppra.  

mytwoguys22
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:47 AM

My son has also been diagnosed with BRE. He is 10 and started having seizures when he was 6. Up until 1 year ago, he was on Keppra but last summer his doctor switched him to the trileptal. I have to say that it seems better for him for 2 reasons. First, he can sleep again - on Keppra, he had a lot of difficulty sleeping. Second, his personality seems more like him again. I didn't realize how much he had changed on the Keppra until he went on the trileptal. Good luck to you.

Melamma
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Hey,

My daughter Shira has Sturge-Weber Syndrome. She started having seizures when she was 4 months old. She got diagnosed at 16 months and in September of 2011 she was put on meds after a bad seizure that we caught on an EEG finally! She was started on Trileptal. She is now 4 1/2 years old and on 5 ml twice a day. The outcome has been wonderful! She had a breakthrough seizure the following month (Nov. 2011) and has not had any since! She is seizure free for 15 months now! The seizure episodes not only lessened, they stopped! However, every child is different. So what worked perfectly for my daughter may not work perfectly for other children. The only side effect my daughter has is that she is more tired then any of the other children her age. She takes naps most days in the afternoons and she doesn't have as much energy as the other kids. She can tire easily. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! Much love to you!!!!! <3

jaog0711
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM

My 5 year old started Trileptal in December, after being diagnosed with partial complex seizures. He has since had 2 breakthrough seizures (one I believe was due to illness, as he had strep and a fever of 104 we caught in his sleep, scary!) But both times we upped the dosage, I guess with all seizure meds you have to find a magic number for it to work (theraputic dose) and stick with it, and make sure to get bloodwork done so adjustments can be made to maintain that number, as your child grows. Since my son is on 1tsp twice a day he has been seizure free. I am still terrified of him getting sick again, but his neurologist instists that it should protect him even during illness so if that situation happens again his dose must be bumped up again. My son's neurologist swears that it's not bc of the meds, but I swear he is like a lunatic on the meds off the wall, highly emotional, and defiant. She says it's just his age, but I knew my 5 year old and how he acted before the meds and how he is now and we've had some behavior problems due to hyperactivity that i swear is from the meds. But I am happy and blessed everyday he is seizure free so we just deal with it. Hope this helps some.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)