Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Struggling...I am not who I was, so who am I now? (VENT)

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:30 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 153 Total Views

Once upon a time I was a brilliant lady.  I mean I knew my zip code! I had an IQ over 200---I was able to complete a sentence and it had something to do with the one I had just heard before! :)

Now I am out of work unitl mid August while we get my meds worked out.  I was a teacher--first grade for kids who come to school with little to no English.  Pretty advanced skill set there!  Really folks--I was not a head of mashed potatoes three months ago!  I was MENSA material--not terrified of ending up on People of Walmart for forgetting to wear pants!!!

I am taking Topamax, 50 am, 75 pm and sloooowly movng up to 150 am and 150 pm---Spongebob could kick my ass in Jeopardy.  (I just had to stop and try to spell that big J word twice!!! ARGH!!!)

Why am I out of work? Because I had 2 "Whoops--I'm gonna...sit..lay down here now kids..." events.  The last one was outside at recess with one other teacher and 50 kids at recess...at a shared public playground....in an inner city.  Yeah--they don't want me back until I am stable.  I havent been able to drive since April when I had my first, I endured my 72 hour EEG and we captured 3"beginnings" of events and 1 "whole brain" event.  Ok---so topamax it is.  This is week 2 of the med and I am already down about 5 pounds.  I literally can not eat.  Everything tastes like cowpoop.  If you have ever gotten organic fish fertilizer on your hands--that is EACTLY what food tastes like--I had a glorious love affair with food all my life.  Salt and I were Elizabeth Taylor and every guy...umm...well every guy.  Now...I get NO pleasure from food.  I never get hungry.  I never crave food emotionally...it is so weird! (Did I spell that word right? Weird is such a stupid word! Wierd..weird..they both look dumb)

Yesterday my boss called me to ask if I was planning on retunring to work---ummm yes!  My Dr wrote a deliberately vague letter "Planning on returning end of August"  I calmly explain I am not medically stable, we are upping my meds as fast as possible, there as serious side effects, I will be back as soon as humaly possible, and I will get a note stating I am safe to return before setting foot on school property.....

And...for the second damn time...I have a seizure an hour after talking to my boss.  The last time she was texting me that I lost a $500 Reading assessment kit--despite me telling her 3 seperate times exactly where it was.  It was EXACTLY where I said it was.  

I am struggling to come to terms with all this change.  Every time I think I have things managed, I get knocked back down.  If I can't even handle a phone call from work, how can I possible go back to working 11 hour days?  I am supposed to be mentoring a new teacher and ooverseeing the Kindergarten and Grade One Literacy Program this year--I can barely write a grocery list mid afternoon.  

But things will get better...change is ALWAYS good.

I am the Lotus that blooms in the mud.  

Right?

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rgba
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
God, I am so sorry. I worry about this every day for my son.

My son is also highly gifted. I wonder if your brains are just overloaded and sometimes have a little misfire :(

You have my support! Keep me posted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gretch73
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:05 PM

............OMG My boss just texted me AGAIN asking for another book I do NOT have!  Leave me alone! I DO not have anything that belong to the school department!!!!!!

rgba
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Your boss sounds like a jerk :(

Quoting Gretch73:

............OMG My boss just texted me AGAIN asking for another book I do NOT have!  Leave me alone! I DO not have anything that belong to the school department!!!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

block or ignore his text or have someone else deal with it until you are better.  Stress can be a trigger and it looks like the boss is testing you maybe trying to get you to quit.

Gretch73
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 2:11 PM

We are actually considering having me quit.  Without driving permission, It means getting up at four every day, for both me and my spouse, working until 4, waiting at work for a ride home, getting home at 5ish, doing school work, house work, and oh yeah...being a mom to a 16 yo who will be alone every morning and afternoon for the entire school year.  

She is..even as I type this..still texting me about packing books up.  We have started selling on Amazon and Ebay and I already opened an Etsy store, and looked into private tutoring and substitute teaching--stable, stress-free and flexible when I can drive again.  So I can make up about half of my former income....DH just does NOT want me going back to 13+ hour days, plus Saturdays.  I can't blame him. He is the one who watches me unable to talk or walk, trapped in my own head....

rgba
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Do you qualify for FLMA? Maybe you need a few months to try to clear your head, literally.

Quoting Gretch73:

We are actually considering having me quit.  Without driving permission, It means getting up at four every day, for both me and my spouse, working until 4, waiting at work for a ride home, getting home at 5ish, doing school work, house work, and oh yeah...being a mom to a 16 yo who will be alone every morning and afternoon for the entire school year.  

She is..even as I type this..still texting me about packing books up.  We have started selling on Amazon and Ebay and I already opened an Etsy store, and looked into private tutoring and substitute teaching--stable, stress-free and flexible when I can drive again.  So I can make up about half of my former income....DH just does NOT want me going back to 13+ hour days, plus Saturdays.  I can't blame him. He is the one who watches me unable to talk or walk, trapped in my own head....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tckosdk.2012
by New Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:32 AM

I can understand your situation. I started having seizures in my mid 20's & was diagnosed with a brain tumor. After having a craniotomy to remove the tumor my seizures slowly stopped but I was on a high dose of Trileptal that made me feel awful. Incredibly slow, I used to call it brain fog, & had major mental & mood changes to the point that I almost commited suicide. I got a second oppinion from an epileptologist & he agreed to wean me off the meds after 2 years post surgery. I did great, havent had a seizure in 5 years now off meds. I took a break from work for a few years & then got pregnant with my first baby, took another 2 years off to stay home with her. Now I'm so ready to go back to work. I'm a certified veterinary technician & have been since I was 22. I miss my job so much.  I found a job & did a trial week, we call them working interviews. What do you think happened on my 4th day? I had a tonic-clonic seizure not only in front of my new boss but also a client. My boss was really nice about it but doesn't want to hire me now because he thinks I'll be a liability. He legally can fire me for any reason because I wasn't technically hired yet. It's been 5 freakin years since I had a seizure. Why now? I am so beyond depressed about this. I also dont want to tell my Dr because I know they'll take my drivers license & I don't want to go back on meds either. They also made me feel so stupid & I can't be slow & stupid in my field trying to calculate drugs that could kill an animal if I do it wrong. I have to be on my toes. I'm so beyond upset :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN