Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having a child w/ seizures is stressful.

So what do you do to ease that stress? Also, how often do you get to do this?

by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 12:06 PM
Replies (21-26):
nacechik
by Member on Sep. 24, 2010 at 11:02 AM

My daughter is 4 a half and she has been diagnosed with complex febrile seizures. She has emergency diastat for seizures that last longer  than 5 minutes. She just started school this september which is very hard for me. She has developmental delays so she had to start school in order for her to continue her services. She is in a special ed class with a teachers aide. I try to unwind by reading alot. Walking. Anything that can distract my mind, I will try. I have a hard time leaving her with anyone also. The nervousness I feel about her starting school has been horendous, she will be exposed to so much more illness than when she was home. She seizes at a low temp. (101). Children are running fevers all the time with illnesses, sometimes they are running a temp and you don't even know it. So scarey. I am still trying to cope. The hardest part is going through it alone. My husband is away alot and my family has alot of responsibilities which leaves me alone with my 2 kids.

I pray alot and try to remind myself that it is in gods hands. Things can happen whether you are watching them or not and the outcome will be what it will be. It is hard to let go and let god, I struggle with it. I have terrifying nightmares of losing my children, I see a doctor and I take medication, but it only helps so much.

This group has been alot of help and support and I would like to thank everyone and send them blessings.

motherslove6
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2010 at 11:40 AM

hello ,my name is carmen iam  new in this group  i have seizure so and i understand is very stressful .if you want to releas some stress go for a gentle walk, not a run or a power walk, but for nice no hurry kinda walk in the evening is the best time do it everyother day and if one day you dont have one to keep an eye on him take him with you just  put him on a struler and enjoy and try your best not to think of dinner, bills, cleanin, nothing. my fiancee calls me 5 times maybe more i lost count during the day to make sure im ok  did i eat , im i in the kitchen and if iam get out things like that  so ,is good to worry about your family but not to the point that you can get sick yourself only because he has seizure you have to be stress . 

motherslove6
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM

i also wanted to tell you that those people  that are asking you what happen if he has one with me what do i do . well remember this not everybody can handle seizures the way we can or like some of our family members can, but at least they are askin and they are scare but that is normal . look my aunt  ran away and left me meanwhile i was havin a seizure beside a fireplace the only reason i am still here besides god is because of sheeba and pier her two rockwilder ,so dont get fustrated they want to help they just scare and is ok. informed them and let them know that if they do exacly like you say everything is going to be fine but never lie to them tell them that is not a scary sight because it is . hope this tips can help you 

alyssaravensmom
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I will only go out once, if that without Alyssa. The most we do is go see a movie, if we plan to go to dinner we pick her up before we go. Josh is really nice and lets me read. That helps gets me out of relaity for a bit. I had my first breakdown over the stress of this a month ago and am still in a bad spot. Up until now I have been optimistic, trying to get other people not to freak out, now I am since things are getting worse and not better.

Sri333
by New Member on Mar. 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM

My daughter is going to be 16 in May. We've been dealing with seizures since she was 5. Now she is tall and not easy for me to hold or carry during a seizure. Now a fall also means a concussion only because she's tall and obviously cannot brace herself during a seizure and usually falls to the floor. So I do end up watching her all the time when she's home. She gets no privacy nor do I but it is what it is. It's better to be safe than to go to ER every few days. :)

My stress buster is the gym. I workout an hour everyday. I also love to read and watch a few of my fav tv shows (recorded so I can watch at night after my daughter sleeps). I meet up with girlfriends either for a quick lunch while my daughter is at school or for dinner (I leave my daughter with my mom). I also chat with my friends abroad who come online during my nights and love to chat with my hubby when he comes online late at night. :) Overall, I just try and keep a positive outlook. 

We haven't stopped doing other things like going to movies, the mall, friends' homes etc. If she has a seizure in public so be it. I know what to do and fortunately I am a calm person so people usually don't freak out when they see my daughter having a seizure. I want my daughter to know that as long as she keeps herself in safe surroundings and keeps herself in the company of people she trusts, she should be able to do what she wants and go where she wants. :)

My husband works overseas so I take care of my daughter on my own. It gets overwhelming at times but I have a good support system through relatives and friends. :)

ScreamrInAisle3
by New Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I just started a blog yesterday and surprisingly it has been a great stress reliever.  I decided to raise awareness and help other mothers through my blog.  Managing the blog and facebook page (though still relatively brand new) has helped me feel like I am doing something positive with all of my emotions and stress that are caused by parenting a child with special needs.

Check out my blog!      Follow me on Facebook!                                                       

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN