Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often does your child have to switch seizure meds?

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2008 at 3:37 PM
  • 30 Replies
  • 2249 Total Views

How many times do you think your kids have had to change their seizure meds?

I ask because we went to the doctors the other day and one of the questions asked was what different seizure meds have been tried with my son. I couldn't do anything but stare blankly with my mouth open. I had no clue. I still can't tell you all the seizures meds he's been on. We are constantly switching them trying to find that 'magic' combination. Which is sad because he's not even four years old.

How many times do you think your kids have had to switch meds?

by on Nov. 1, 2008 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
02nana07
by Member on Nov. 1, 2008 at 3:47 PM

LUCKILY THE 1ST ONE WORKED ONLY 1 PILL TWICE A DAY. 

I HOPE THEY FIND THE RIGHT ONE(ONES)  FOR YOUR SON 

SOON I WILL PRAY FOR HIM.

praying

the_obrien_2004
by New Member on Nov. 2, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Hello,

I cant remember all the meidcation but i know it was lot before they found the right combination for Travis seizure were under control. At one point they tried the kenogentic diet which for travis didn't work . It took us to move to another city a different doctor to find the right combintation before his siezure were under control. Travis has had seizure since he was 4 months old and know he is 14 years old . It only been the last 3 years his sizures have been under control. i still rember all the times we send in the hospital because he one seizure after another and they wont stop. My son system would get amuned to one medication and then his sysem would reject it . That what his problem was but thank God he is doing so much better these days. I hope you find the right medication to control your childs seizures my prayer will be with you . I remember how hard it was for us. With family and friends and with support and how we got though those days.

Valeria O'Brien

hot_mommy_of2
by Member on Nov. 11, 2008 at 11:24 AM

We haven't had to switch yet. Haley is 2 and started her first med (Trileptal) 2 months ago. She has been seizure free so far. I hope that you're son's can get under control soon though. Poor lil guy :)

aminasmommy
by Member on Nov. 12, 2008 at 2:28 PM

hmm amina is 8 months old shes bene on 8 different meds and like 10 different combinations.. we just found the ones that work for her .*along with brain surgery*.phenobar 3 times a day 45 mg at night and in the morning and 15mg in teh afternonn. keppra 250mg in am and 312mg at night and vigabatrin 250mg in am and 375mg in the eveing..

hopefully you find something that works for your son...

sailorsproudwif
by New Member on Nov. 12, 2008 at 4:07 PM

To be honest with you I couldn't even begin to tell you all of the meds that my son has been on, then little lone the different combinations that they have tried with all of these different meds.  My son started having seizures in April and they still don't have the magic combination for my son. 

aimant07
by Member on Nov. 13, 2008 at 8:00 AM

My son started taking Topamax when he was 2 1/2 years old, 3 pills (15 MG) 2X a day.  Now he's almost 4 and he has been seizure free for a little over a year now.  So far so good.  My mom had seizures as a child and she's been on the same medication forever so I'm hoping the same is true for my little man and he won't have to keep switching.  I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to be constantly changing meds and dosage.  My advice is even if you have to drive a long way, find an expert neurologist in your area.  Our doctor told us that there is a HUGE list of meds for seizures but he beleived Topamax was best for our son.  He told us that children especially seem to be responding well to it.  We are lucky to have our doctor here in town but I would've driven miles to go see a good one had we needed to.  Good luck to you. 

Cyndi710
by on Nov. 14, 2008 at 8:42 AM

My son Owen stared on Depakote, then it was depakote and lamictal, that didn't work, then they dropped the depakote and added felbamate to the lamictal, that didn't work so then it was lamictal and topamax, that didn't work so then we tried topamax 100mg and keppra 500mg still didn't work.  Owen had a functioning hemisphrectomy on July 31st and has been seizure free since.  He will have a EEG can January then we can start weaning him off the topamax.   So I guess it would be 5 medications with 5 different combinations.  Not to mention all the different strengths of medications.  Good luck

Cyndi (Owen's Mom)

www.caringbridge.org/visit/owenlyons 

Tiannasmommy731
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2008 at 8:31 PM

My daughter was diagnosed at 9 months. She is now 1 so im very new to this. She started with phenobarbitol, but when I went to my second opinion, he said if she stayed on it then we would have to get blood drawn every so often because it affects the liver or something. So he put her on trileptal and she takes it in the morning and night. I have never seen a seizure yet. Im so scared to see one on my own daughter. My mother watches my kids while im at work and shes had the only 2 episodes with my mom.

purple ribbon

USMCwife2girls
by on Nov. 17, 2008 at 7:08 AM

I would have to find my copy of Jen's medical records to remember all the meds she's been on.

Her latest combo of Topamax and Tranxene she has been on for more than 2 years.  The only changes have been to her dosing amounts.  And we've adjusted her VNS settings.

Our IDEAL is a cure!

www.idea-league.org 

jd1604
by New Member on Dec. 6, 2008 at 10:44 AM

My step son Ethan had his first seizure that his parents were aware of in the first day of Kindergarten. He started Keppra, had substantial weight gain, and two more seizures, one at our house and one at his mom's. So they switched him to trileptil, more weight gain and 2 more seizures at his mom's house. So now in the third year of his diagnosis he will be trying his third medication. Topomax, and then if that doesn't work lamactil. they never did combos for him, only when he was switching meds. But that was to wean him off one onto the other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN