Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Giving baby meds

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:12 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 249 Total Views

My 2mo was just put on phenobarb and is having a really hard time taking the meds. anyone have tips to make it easier?

I know babies and medicine is just hard, but he's choking and crying so hard he throws up. I'm using an eyedropper instead of the syringe because it releases the medicine more slowly, less choking. The pacifier medicine thingy doesn't work because he won't suck. He also goes all bug eyed and stops breathing for a second sometimes when he feels the meds in his mouth  and then gasps after swallowing. It scary and awful. I don't know if I can handle doing this twice a day for however long it takes.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
aminasmommy
by Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM

have you asked your doc to get them in pills and you can crush them we had teh same problem with amina and we got the pills and they disolve in a little water much much easier to give it and less volume. amina gets 7.5 mls three times a day and that in the liquid is hell

DianeDG
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Sometimes sticking the dropper between their cheek and gums helps then it just runs down, really babies just don't like meds... :( no matter what they gag. Sorry I have no real advice for you. They just have to get used to it. My kiddo started taking meds as a baby too, so my husband has been there. I'll ask him how they did it (she's my step daughter) and I'll type back, but I think it was a lot of the binky thing. 

MamaGlitterBug
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Quoting melyen:

My 2mo was just put on phenobarb and is having a really hard time taking the meds. anyone have tips to make it easier?

I know babies and medicine is just hard, but he's choking and crying so hard he throws up. I'm using an eyedropper instead of the syringe because it releases the medicine more slowly, less choking. The pacifier medicine thingy doesn't work because he won't suck. He also goes all bug eyed and stops breathing for a second sometimes when he feels the meds in his mouth  and then gasps after swallowing. It scary and awful. I don't know if I can handle doing this twice a day for however long it takes.

Get the pill form.

My son was 2 when we started the pills. He literally sucks on the pills until they dissolve. The dr said he's still getting the meds & it seems to be working so there's no worry about it. At least I know exactly how much of the meds he's getting. Before that he'd scream and vomit or spit out the liquid and I was in fear of giving him too much. There's some meds who have sprinkles. We'd put them in applesauce. We also just stuck those in his mouth and he'd swallow the mini pills.

I'm Jess...wife to Jared...Mama of 3 +1 (sd)=4 children. Amanda (sd) 9, Amethyst  6, Isaac 4 & Elijah almost 2.  Isaac has special needs: autism and epilepsy. I support Nursing In Public and am anti-vaccines. Check out my page on myspace!  http://myspace.com/glitterbug03

Finlansmama
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 10:38 PM
Ugh, we had the same problems w/phenobarb when my son was a baby. We tried putting it in his bottle, but then he jsut stopped drinking bottles altogether. Stubborn kid... he continued breastfeeding but never took a bottle again after the age of 9 weeks. So we were back to the syringe, choking, vomiting, stopping breathing thing for months until he was finally weaned off of the med. So my only advice is: Don't put it in the bottle!!
MamaGlitterBug
by on Mar. 10, 2009 at 1:24 PM

You could also get it flavored. Maybe the baby doesn't like the flavor of the meds. You might have to pay a couple bucks out of pocket as most insurance companies won't pay for it.

melyen
by on Mar. 15, 2009 at 1:20 PM

It came already orange flavored, I don't know if we could put a flovor over that. We tried a medicine pacifier and now he won't take a bottle, he thinks there's medicine inside. He's getting better with the syringe though.

Mamaoftwingles
by on Mar. 15, 2009 at 6:07 PM

One thing that helped a lot with all three of my boys was getting a nipple from a bottle and letting them suck on that (you can put breastmilk or formula in it so they don't suck down air) and then switch over and put the phenobarb into the nipple as they are drinking the bm/formula... its a smoother transition and this is how we got all three of them to take phenobarb, I guess the stuff tastes pretty awful and I could not get them off of it soon enough! 

cowgirl

Jen - I bring absolutely NOTHING to the table.

Crunchy Christian Farm Girl Mom of three wild and crazy boys, a buncha birds, bunnies and a neurotic cockapoo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)