Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QUESTION!!!! need advice

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:45 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 246 Total Views

My 4 yo son has "febrile sz" The neuro suspects it is most likely epilepsy but so far all sz have been with fevers...mri, ct scans, eeg etc... have all been normal... my question is... is there a medication that can be given at a minimal dose that will not have terrible side effects that will prevent the sz that he is having...  has anyone had febrile sz and been medicated just for the febrile sz not sz  w/o fever....I'm asking this question b/c as cold/flu season and school starts I am getting very anxious about him being sick and getting a fever... as it is I'm always on top of him making sure he is not sick...

What do you all think????

BTW... my son is speech delayed, and on the impulsive side... if that makes a difference....

Liz      

Sophia                            Ernie & Luis

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
LIZARD66
by Group Owner on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:23 PM

I was believed to have had the same problem as a young child, and now I'm 42 and have epi, but maybe treat the fever at the onset, say when it gets above a certain point. I generally take Tylenol if I'm above 99F (a degree and a half above my norm), because I still face the risk of simple partials with fever (although my Keppra appears to be kickin' butt :) ).

hugging and good luck

LIZARD :)

Proud mom to 18 yo Caren, and 14 yo Drew, autism and Chiari Malformation. Dealing with my own chronic neuro and endocrine issues and getting healthy at last! :)
Gina, I miss you every hour of every day. :( I hope you're enjoying Heaven and all the clean air. :) 9/5/66-10/22/07

nutrimom624
by Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Hi.. when they the dr's diagnose the epilepsy and at what age were you given meds... I do temp control but many times we don't get much warning and the sz comes right away...

thanx

toddler girl   ice creamboy on a swing

Sophia    Ernie      Luis

LIZARD66
by Group Owner on Jul. 29, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Well, I'm nearly 43 yo, LOL, and the protocol is different now than it was then, but I was put on phenobarb at 6 mo, after my first obvious sz, a GM. No one called it epi until I looked a neuro in the eye in college and asked him. I was on and off med throughout my life.

LIZARD :)

Proud mom to 18 yo Caren, and 14 yo Drew, autism and Chiari Malformation. Dealing with my own chronic neuro and endocrine issues and getting healthy at last! :)
Gina, I miss you every hour of every day. :( I hope you're enjoying Heaven and all the clean air. :) 9/5/66-10/22/07

MascaraMomma
by Member on Aug. 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Unfortunately I had febrile's as a young child and they medicated me with a few different kinds of meds until I outgrew it at 6 but  now I have been diagnosed with Epilepsy, and they suspect that the febriles then made me more vulnerable to developing epilepsy now. With febriles the only thing I know to help is avoid fevers, do everything you can to keep your little one's temp lower than his breaking point. My mom used to put me in cool baths and cold compresses on the back of my neck, motrin, the whole shebang, other than that I'm really sorry but I don't know of any medicine that helps.

pregnancy

Momma Joo [Jen]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)