Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the best parenting book you've ever read? and why?

Posted by   + Show Post

i know a lot of you mamas are into alternative styles of parenting...have you ladies read books on alternative parenting styles? or did you just parent how you felt was natural?

i personally read a few books on parenting styles only because i was deathly afraid of parenting like my mother does...

my favorite parenting book i've read so far is called "What Do You Really Want For Your Children?" by Dr. Wayne Dyer...Wayne Dyer is the most peaceful man...i have read several of his books and feel his peacefulness as i read...i figured i'd check and see if he had a parenting book and sure enough he did...i read it and was blown away...it made me figure out things about myself that i didn't realize could end up being problems for my child...it also helped me figure out what things a lot of parents commonly do and how they affect their children in negative ways...he also shows the positive outcomes of EASY things you can do as a parent...Wayne Dyer has 6 or maybe 7 children so he's not just some guy acting like an "expert" on parenting...he's a sincere man and loves helping people...

the chapter titles include: I want my children to value themselves. I want my children to be risk-takers. I want my children to be self-reliant. I want my children to be free from stress and anxiety. I want my children to celebrate their Present moments. I want my children to experience a lifetime of wellness. I want my children to be creative. I want my children to fulfill their higher needs and to feel a sense of purpose.

Wayne Dyer goes into great detail about all of these subjects...

anyway, i just want to know what parenting books you mamas love and why you love them?

peace out

Kimra . vegan. .crunchy. .natural minded. .baby wearing. .co-sleeping. .breastfeeding. .part-time ECing. .instinctive parenting. .prosperity conscious. .positive thinking. work from home. .green. .punk rock. .mama to Oliver. .wife to Seth.  www.cchr.org
"It ill becomes us to invoke in our daily prayers the blessings of God, the Compassionate, if we in turn will not practice elementary compassion towards our fellow creatures."
—Mahatma Gandhi  (this includes animals)
           "You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occassion." 2 Cor. 9:11

by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 11:14 PM
Replies (21-24):
Tauna1208 Tauna
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM

My favorites, in no particular order (they've all been helpful and meaningful at one time or another):

The Continuum Concept - This helped me form my initial ideas of how having a child would fit into our life (I read it while pregnant).  I love looking at decisions with biology in mind.  It was very reassuring and motivating to think about my child being a needy mammal - expecting a tribe, love, unconditional acceptance and near-constant physical connection.  It's a near-impossible ideal to live up to in our culture, but one that I think is important to keep in mind.

Unconditional Parenting - I found the research he compiled so compelling.  This was the first book that taught me that it's not what we feel or what we say that's important - it's what our child feels that really matters.  Doesn't matter how much you tell someone you love them, if they don't feel that love.

Playful Parenting - I need to re-read this one.  This is an area I have a tough time.  I have a real hard time being playful and creative when we need it the most!

Hold On to Your Kids - Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers: http://www.amazon.com/Hold-Your-Kids-Parents-Matter/dp/0375760288/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264529256&sr=1-1    This is one I'm keeping around to re-read several times as Theo gets older.  This one really opened my eyes to our society's assumption that kids (teenagers especially) need to have a strong bond with others their age.  It's really a dangerous assumption that leaves our children vulnerable and looking for anyone to accept them.  Friends are great, but family should feel like the best place for a kid to find acceptance and love.

Currently I'm also on a Naomi Aldort kick.  I knew I'd like her, just took me a while to get to her.  She's just what we need at this point - she ties in so much of everything else I've studied, and then succinctly tacks on useful, concrete ways of acting the way I feel in my heart.  I'm reading Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves and I got the set of 7 cds to listen to in the car.

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 9:16 AM

other books I have read and found helpful over the years (with click on links)

Mary Sheedy Kurcinka: Kids, Parents and Power Struggles

Stephanie Marston: The Magic of Encouragement

Acredolo, Goodwyn and Abrams: Baby Signs

1northwestmom
by on Jul. 1, 2011 at 2:36 AM

I've always parented with the use of mommy instinct. I recently read two great parenting books that made a lot of sense to me & coincided with the way I parent. Check out 1,2,3, Magic & Surviving Your Adolecensonce  Great read, very informative, step by step instructions, & created with humor!

haleykj Haley
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 8:40 PM

my friend just said she wants to buy the book "the strong-willed child" judging by the description, i assume its counterproductive. if u had to pick just one to recommend instead, what would it be?

Quoting Imamom4sure:

Yes Wayne Dyer is very cool! :)

I've been a parenting book junkie! 

so here's the list that I think have some great gems:

The Seven Habits of Effective Families-by Steven Covey.

it had the principals and what to practice and medicate on. which helped alot in having the kind of consiousness 

Becky Baileys' conscious discipline also

you see, I've been studying parenting books for over 20 years, I was in high school 25 years ago when I read Gordon's PET, (Parent Effectiveness Training) this was an awesome book and opened my eyes how relationships could be, with kids, adults anybody.  and NVC is similar, but even better in that it includes underlying needs/desires that need connection with.  I think both Marshall Rosenberg and Gordon had Carl Rogers as a teacher.  (but I didn't learn about NVC until 7 years ago)

anyway, back in my late teens and early 20s I was reading all these relationship books:

The conflict to caring series: Do I have to give up me to be loved by you and If you really loved me.

and parenting book: siblings without rivary. and I also read another called Parenting without hitting, yelling or threatening.  

yet even though I was reading and studying and had the philosophy and knew what to do when I was feeling great, when I needed it the most I would fall into the hole of the parenting I grew up with.

I would find that sometimes I would just react and revert (still find that I do that, but now I know why and can quicker get out of it, and be better at being proactive to prevent it)  but I didn't understand stand what my problem was until Becky Bailey's Conscious Discipline books and CDs Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline.  For she stressed soothing the hurt person (also victim first) I found NVC was very helpful to sooth because it gave tools at what was needed and to voice it provided so much relief.  So I had videos and tapes of Marshall Rosenberg stuff at the same time.  And Naomi Aldort (because it was her ideals I wanted to follow, just needed Rosenberg and Bailey to do them.  

I have more to say, and more books to share, and I will edit typos when I get a chance, django is teething and very active and moody so I'm going as fast as I can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN