Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the best parenting book you've ever read? and why?

Posted by   + Show Post

i know a lot of you mamas are into alternative styles of parenting...have you ladies read books on alternative parenting styles? or did you just parent how you felt was natural?

i personally read a few books on parenting styles only because i was deathly afraid of parenting like my mother does...

my favorite parenting book i've read so far is called "What Do You Really Want For Your Children?" by Dr. Wayne Dyer...Wayne Dyer is the most peaceful man...i have read several of his books and feel his peacefulness as i read...i figured i'd check and see if he had a parenting book and sure enough he did...i read it and was blown away...it made me figure out things about myself that i didn't realize could end up being problems for my child...it also helped me figure out what things a lot of parents commonly do and how they affect their children in negative ways...he also shows the positive outcomes of EASY things you can do as a parent...Wayne Dyer has 6 or maybe 7 children so he's not just some guy acting like an "expert" on parenting...he's a sincere man and loves helping people...

the chapter titles include: I want my children to value themselves. I want my children to be risk-takers. I want my children to be self-reliant. I want my children to be free from stress and anxiety. I want my children to celebrate their Present moments. I want my children to experience a lifetime of wellness. I want my children to be creative. I want my children to fulfill their higher needs and to feel a sense of purpose.

Wayne Dyer goes into great detail about all of these subjects...

anyway, i just want to know what parenting books you mamas love and why you love them?

peace out

Kimra . vegan. .crunchy. .natural minded. .baby wearing. .co-sleeping. .breastfeeding. .part-time ECing. .instinctive parenting. .prosperity conscious. .positive thinking. work from home. .green. .punk rock. .mama to Oliver. .wife to Seth.  www.cchr.org
"It ill becomes us to invoke in our daily prayers the blessings of God, the Compassionate, if we in turn will not practice elementary compassion towards our fellow creatures."
—Mahatma Gandhi  (this includes animals)
           "You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occassion." 2 Cor. 9:11

by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 11:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Dec. 20, 2009 at 12:52 PM

LOL! How could I forget that one?

Quoting lukesmyboy:

Continuum concept!

this book was cool at imagining how I could raise my child in a way that included him in my life, the way that lets him learn about his culture and how folks do things, and not have him "segregated" until a certain age

and how work and play can be one in the same based on our attitudes.

rozepyle
by on Dec. 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM

i havent read any that are particularly striking. the ones i did have the women complained to no end about their pregnancies (i had a horrible one too but damn!!) and everything was primarily detachment parenting based. some of the child development books i have encountered have helped me to some degree but even those are blah. any suggestions?

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Dec. 20, 2009 at 1:22 PM

awesome question, maybe if we focus on a book at a time and put in favorite passages.  the one's listed above were not blah, so I think I want to feature a book a post, but for this post, I'm excited about the idea of a reading list to choose from

Quoting rozepyle:

i havent read any that are particularly striking. the ones i did have the women complained to no end about their pregnancies (i had a horrible one too but damn!!) and everything was primarily detachment parenting based. some of the child development books i have encountered have helped me to some degree but even those are blah. any suggestions?

lukesmyboy christina
by on Dec. 20, 2009 at 7:06 PM

YAY a book club!!!

Lilypie Breastfeeding PicLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Dec. 20, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Oh good! I'm so excited I'll start a new forum!

Quoting lukesmyboy:

YAY a book club!!!

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Dec. 21, 2009 at 10:06 PM

In the "book club" the first book we are exploring is "playful parenting" feel free to ask any questions or if you know about the book help with the discussion.:) 

Kimra kimra
by on Dec. 23, 2009 at 4:09 PM

wow all these books sound AWESOME!! i definitely have some more reading to do...i really do think that Wayne Dyers books sums up exactly how i expect and desire to parent but now i see there are few more that i should get my hands on

Kimra . vegan. .crunchy. .natural minded. .baby wearing. .co-sleeping. .breastfeeding. .part-time ECing. .instinctive parenting. .prosperity conscious. .positive thinking. work from home. .green. .punk rock. .mama to Oliver. .wife to Seth.  www.cchr.org
"It ill becomes us to invoke in our daily prayers the blessings of God, the Compassionate, if we in turn will not practice elementary compassion towards our fellow creatures."
—Mahatma Gandhi  (this includes animals)
           "You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occassion." 2 Cor. 9:11

earthmama65
by on Dec. 23, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I *heart* Wayne Dyer. :)

Kimra kimra
by on Dec. 27, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Quoting earthmama65:

I *heart* Wayne Dyer. :)

me too!!

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 6:11 AM

I would say the best parenting books are now a tie and I am enjoying reading them simultanieouslyL

Judy Arnall's Discipline without Distress

and 

Naomi Aldort's Raising our children and raising ourselves

although I haven't started this one all the way,

every time I skim or pick up a page, its the same excitement as the top two books

Pam Leo Connection Parenting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)