Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

we're gonna discuss books that help us in our parenting goals (with addendum)

Posted by (♥Kim) on Dec. 20, 2009 at 10:22 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 526 Total Views

each post will be about a particular book 

we can reply with things we like, such as favorite passages, or ask questions about it, or share thoughts

and examples of how the book helps us, whatever.  or what confuses us and perhaps someone can help us.  

So, let's do reviews and interviews concerning books that we have read, or might like to read!

:)

addendum:

Please keep in mind that the OP likes the book or is curious about the book so please validate why it makes sense that she likes it, especially if you would like to point out areas that you had problems with about the book, but probably best to bring up those problematic areas only if you have read the book in full. (be sure to mention how much you have read of the book regardless) afterall you don't have to have read the whole thing to have a response. (or even have read the book if your curious about it or have questions) just be sure your comments are respectful to Op and her parenting goals.

(added March 29, 2010) This is a forum to join in discussing books that you are interested in as a book club, therefore, do not join a thread on a book, if you are not interested in the book or it's content, your welcome to ask questions, admit you haven't read it or much of it, or that you had problems with it, but your in the thread to learn about the book and the OP's thoughts and feelings about it, and join in on discussion, but overall, no need to discourage or put down the book, folks can read over the thread and decide if this is the kind of thing they want or not want, even if someone is not putting down the book. 

by on Dec. 20, 2009 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
curlycupcake
by on Dec. 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Playful Parenting, by Lawrence J Cohen had been a GREAT help to me.  We were already a very playful family, but this book really helped me see the purpose behind play, and how to use play to teach self-discipline & avoid major meltdowns.  I loved it & highly recommend it to all families.  Play is an amazing & natural way to deepen your connection with your child.  For parents who are playful, fore parents who aren't this book is chock-full of great advice!!

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Dec. 21, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Then playful parenting will be first, and I enjoyed skimming it at the book store, a few years ago. but, alas I had too many books that day to fit it in the budget, and I have gone back and skimmed some more, and I love it, just never got around to buying it.

So I'm very excited that you can tell us about it, I hope you dont mind, but I'm gonna copy your repy and turn it into a post!

Xakana xak
by on Dec. 22, 2009 at 2:04 AM

It just came in at the Library for me and I picked it up today ^_^ I've been waiting for it for about a week. I'd kicked around reading it for a while and just hadn't, so I'll share more thoughts after I spend some time reading it. I've only just started the introduction.

baby in slingtoddler girl

Admin: Love and Respect, No [hitting] No CIO and
Alternatives to Mainstream Parenting

Owner: Natural Babies due in January 2009

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Jan. 17, 2010 at 8:49 PM

and if your reading something, that you want to share, just open a post about it! 

right now I order a whole bunch of parenting books:

pam Leo's connection parenting

judy arnall's parenting without distress (we already have the thread and the author of the book to join us in the discussion)

naomi aldort's raising ourselves/raising our children (we already have a very interesting thread going)

sura hart's respectful parents/respectful children

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 1:37 PM

this is mostly a book club not a book review, so please only join in posts with that interest in mind, reading group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)