Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Book lending exchange?

Posted by (Grace) on Mar. 9, 2010 at 5:42 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 705 Total Views

So, there are so many books I want to read, and I see other moms saying the same things in the book discussions! I was thinking, maybe we could set up a little AMP book exchange if anyone is interested. The borrower would pay for shipping to them and back to the lender and if something happened to the book, the borrower would replace it.

I only a couple to offer, but as I get more, I will add them. There are also some that I know I have but have to go through my books in storage to find.

Right here, right now, I only have

I think I also have a Dr. Sears baby book somewhere. lol.

So, anyone who is interested, I think this could be fun! But if anyone feels uncomfortable lending things out, please don't feel obligated. I'm also going to start checking out thrift stores to see if I come upon any abandoned treasures.

Mother to Beautiful, Inquisitive Aura. Soulmate to Kind, Funny Joey. Wrangler of Hyper, Impetuous Zander.

We are a breastfeeding, child-led weaning, baby wearing, elimination communicating, child-led solid feeding, gentle parenting, natural birthing, animal loving, vegan eating, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, volunteering, affection giving family.

by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 5:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FelipesMom Leticia
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I'm all over this idea! But - I would only want to lend, not trade for keeps. I have:
Naomi Aldort: Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
Alfie Kohn: Unconditional Parenting
the Canadian bestseller one (will come back and update with titles - I am not at home now!)
Susan Stiffleman (??): Parenting Without Power Struggles
...and one more - will update once I get home!

And I would like to borrow Protecting the Gift, please!

:o) Great idea!

Bellarose0212 Grace
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 10:31 AM

That's what I meant, Leticia, lend. And if anything happens to the book the borrower replaces it.

MyIslandGirls Candice
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Ohh i wish! i just dont have any parenting books that you all would be into.... i don't think.  let me take a look..... I'll come back.

Kimra kimra
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 4:30 PM

i love the idea of this but i would want to only LEND the books because want to read my books again and again to keep reaffirming my parenting beliefs...i am still reading the books that i have right now but i'll let you mamas know when i'm ready to do some swap borrowing

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 6:50 PM

totally love this idea too!

gosh I have lots of books, do we mutually exchange a book with someone who has a book to offer? 

MyIslandGirls Candice
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I have:

No Cry Sleep Solutions for Toddlers and Preschoolers

The Optomistic Child  By Martin E. P Seligman, Ph.d.

365 Things to do with your child without a TV  ( iknow i have this.. still looking for it)

How to Listen so your kids will talk & how to talk so your kids will Listen    By Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish

Teaching Your Children Responsibility    By Linda and Richard Eyre

Awakening Your Child's Natural Genius, Enhancing Curiosity,Creativity and Learning Ability  By Thomas Armstong PH.D.  (for children aged 3-12)

I really want to read "unconditional parenting"  I've been trying to get my library to get it in... no luck so far

I also would like a hands on book about parenting lovingly... if there is a book like this... I'm new to this idea. Most of these books were my moms... which i got when she died 9 years ago  (this March 22nd)

This is me:
Lactivist, babywearing, cosleeping, delay solids, cloth diapering Mom To the most excellent kids on the planet: Kaitlyn (1.22.01) Ella (2.22.06) and Matteo (10.3.09) ALL INTACT! genital equality for all!!! Babies are ment to be BREASTFED!!! USE THEM OF LOOSE THEM LADIES!!! I AM CANADIAN!! and there for, get free healthcare!! Jealous? you should be!  I BELIEVE IN UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE FOR ALL!

"A child needs your love more when he deserves it least."  - Erma Bombech -American Humourist

Bellarose0212 Grace
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Kim- I don't know. I guess its however you (the individual lending/borrowing) want to do it.

FelipesMom Leticia
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I can lend you Unconditional Parenting. I haven't finished it yet but I am more into the more hands-on UCP books right now, and I have so many, so I wouldn't mind loaning it out while I read all those.

Rather than having you pay shipping, I think it would bea easier to just trade, I'll ship one to you and you ship one to me, and we'll both pay for what we're sending, which should come out to be almost the same. Sound fair? I'd like the 365 activities one or the listen/talk one - whichever you would recommend most highly. Msg me if you like this plan! :o)

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

I have:

No Cry Sleep Solutions for Toddlers and Preschoolers

The Optomistic Child

365 Things to do with your child without a TV

How to Listen so your kids will talk, how to talk so your kids will Listen

And i have a "improve your child's Brain" Type book somewhere... I didn't see it on my shelf.... I'll have to take another look when i have a chance.

I really want to read "unconditional parenting"  I've been trying to get my library to get it in... no luck so far

LETICIA

Click the Scentsy logo above to go to my site and read about scented wickless candles, host a party, or become a consultant!

CafeMom Tickers

Bellarose0212 Grace
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Quoting FelipesMom:

Rather than having you pay shipping, I think it would bea easier to just trade, I'll ship one to you and you ship one to me, and we'll both pay for what we're sending, which should come out to be almost the same. Sound fair?

Awesome, Leticia! That sounds like a good system for us all to do when we're doing a direct trade. But if anyone wants to lend/borrow and they aren't "trade-lending" then I guess the borrower could still pay shipping. I love that this is working out. :)

conejoazul Estelle
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I'm not in the States, so shipping back and forth is ridiculous price-wise for me, but from a group-building and ecologically-speaking point-of-view, I think this is a great idea for AMP !  I may be able to participate in some future trades, though lending & returning wouldn't make good dollars-sense in my case. Right now, I'm tandem-reading the parenting books we have in the house, so I won't list any offers for trade until later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)