Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can you recommend the infant care book you have enjoyed the most

Posted by (Michelle) on Jul. 21, 2010 at 7:01 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 497 Total Views

My baby boy is due on November 1. I am looking for books about attachment, sibling bonding and general infant care. The books I have read so far are all so basic and boring. There must be more out there.

by on Jul. 21, 2010 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Jul. 22, 2010 at 10:44 AM

hhm, I don't know of a single book that is good enough for all these things, but it would be cool, 

hey folks, any writers willing to comply something like this?  lol

when I have more time I will make a list of my favorite books, just thought I would reply now,  so I remember to do this for you later!

:)kim

Xakana xak
by on Jul. 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM

The Happiest Baby on the Block was the one I enjoyed the most.

As for sibling bonding--make it all about your oldest. THEY are becoming a big brother/sister--celebrate it :D Just as big as you becoming a parent, they are becoming a sibling for the first time. Make sure that people greet your older child first when coming to see the baby and congratulate them on becoming a big sibling before anyone else (baby doesn't care and you can understand :) ). Focus on the positive and try to explain the possible negatives without making them seem negative. Don't do any "you're a big kid now" stuff unless you want to see major regression (I'm not sure how old your oldest is--that's mostly applicable to toddlers and preschoolers).

For the older sibling, if they're on the younger side "My New Baby" was great for my daughter (it's a picture book--no words so you and the child can work out the story). If you're more alternative, it shows baby nursing and being worn by Daddy, although baby does go to sleep in a bassinet.

HTH.

Lcherniske
by on Jul. 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM
Dr. Sears- the baby book? Not sure exact title but the one that covers the first 2 years. Not sure if it covers sibling bonding though but the other 2 requirements lol.
michelle856 Michelle
by on Jul. 23, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I ordered The Happiest Baby on the Block  off Amazon. I can't wait to read it.  I have the Dr Sears attachment parenting book, I bought that when I first adopted my daughter. Its one of my favorites. 

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Jul. 24, 2010 at 12:52 AM

smart love parent! and connection parenting (talks about importance of attachment parenting in early years) 

boncork Bonnie
by on Jul. 24, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Dear Parent: Caring for Infants with respect by Magda Gerber.

girlwithC Amy
by on Jul. 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM

My favorite book for attachment & bonding with an infant is an out of print book by Penelope Leach (I usually find a used copy if I have a baby shower to attend) called The First Six Months:  Getting Together With Your Baby.  I think it's a wonderfully-crafted book and it really spoke to me, was really sensitive and insightful for dealing with birth trauma/disappointments, and just supports attachment and connection in a wonderful way with true immediacy. 

I have The Baby Book (Sears) and while I'm glad I had it, in my opinion it does not compare to this book by Penelope Leach.  Granted, it's more of an "infant care manual" than the Penelope Leach book and of course it is supportive of "attachment parenting" practices, but I don't think it's anywhere near as organic and powerful as Penelope Leach's book. I guess this is subjective; I just love to mention it when I get the chance.  I can't remember if it deals with sibling issues, but it definitely addresses both parents and their adjustments, and brings a great deal of empathy to all that they are feeling, but gently focuses on the baby-caregiver bond and the importance of supporting it, of not seeing it as competition, or trying to resist or second-guess the goodness of it if it seems "all-consuming," etc.

She has a couple of publications (still in print) that are more parenting manuals & child development books, and these include more of the baby care stuff with her characteristic insight and sensitivity (although some of her specific ideas about feeding and other things are probably worth some skepticism or perspective---considering that they are dated and perhaps also culturally influenced; she is British and some of the assumed foods are interesting....)  Anyway, I have liked each of her books that I bought & checked out, but this little volume "The First Six Months" is just the most special, affirming thing.

girlwithC Amy
by on Aug. 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I just remembered Jan Hunt's book The Natural Child:  Parenting From the Heart.

It definitely talks about attachment and bonding in an overall conceptual way, then attachment with a baby including a chapter on sibling issues (specifically addressing the introduction of a new baby to a family, and being sensitive to the issues involved), attachment through childhood (parenting a toddler and preschooler, etc.), and also sections on discipline/guidance and education.  The whole book is organized to advocate for and support the idea of connected, nurturing parenting, establishing a strong bond with an infant and finding ways to parent throughout childhood that do not interfere with that initial parent-child bond.  The sibling issues discussion is in that same vein, and addresses the dynamic thoughtfully and compassionately as a result.

michelle856 Michelle
by on Aug. 1, 2010 at 5:13 PM
thank you!
Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Aug. 1, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Jan hunt also has a website, the natural child project and does phone support as well.  Thanks for mentioning this book as well! I was thinking about it, then I forgot to mention. :)

Quoting girlwithC:

I just remembered Jan Hunt's book The Natural Child:  Parenting From the Heart.

It definitely talks about attachment and bonding in an overall conceptual way, then attachment with a baby including a chapter on sibling issues (specifically addressing the introduction of a new baby to a family, and being sensitive to the issues involved), attachment through childhood (parenting a toddler and preschooler, etc.), and also sections on discipline/guidance and education.  The whole book is organized to advocate for and support the idea of connected, nurturing parenting, establishing a strong bond with an infant and finding ways to parent throughout childhood that do not interfere with that initial parent-child bond.  The sibling issues discussion is in that same vein, and addresses the dynamic thoughtfully and compassionately as a result.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)