Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Online Book Discussion Group

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 625 Total Views

Quoting Dionna: Our first discussion starts today - come on over and check out some of the questions, or leave questions/comments about the book of your own!

http://codenamemama.com/2010/09/20/playful-parenting-book-discussion-chapters-1-3/

Quote:

I am so excited to announce the debut of the Code Name: Mama Online Book Discussion Group. Anyone and everyone is invited to participate, all you need is a copy of the book we are discussing (borrowed or bought), an hour or so each week to read, and about 20-30 minutes to join in the discussion here on Code Name: Mama.

For our first book, we are going to read Playful Parenting, by Lawrence Cohen, PhD.

3) How to Participate in Discussions: Discussions will take place here on Code Name: Mama each Monday. I will post a short piece on our reading, ask for your thoughts/feedback/questions on the reading, and present the questions for the next week. There are two main ways to participate:

Now for the really exciting parts.

1) I contacted Dr. Cohen to make sure we were legally allowed to have an online discussion group of PP (since we’d be quoting/citing portions of it, etc.). He responded and not only gave us his blessings, but Dr. Cohen will also try to stop by and join in the discussions as his schedule allows!!

So that means it’s even MORE important for you to leave your thoughtful feedback and questions on each post. You might just get an answer or advice from Dr. Cohen himself!

Continue reading more here (the above is a synopsis and there is much more in the original blog): http://codenamemama.com/2010/09/06/online-book/

baby in slingtoddler girl

Admin: Love and Respect, No [hitting] No CIO and
Alternatives to Mainstream Parenting

Owner: Natural Babies due in January 2009

by on Sep. 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Imamom4sure
by on Sep. 6, 2010 at 4:31 PM

This sounds awesome!  I love book discussions and super wow!!! the author will be there! 

I want to be there too

thanks so much! XAK!!

Imamom4sure
by on Sep. 6, 2010 at 4:33 PM

from the website:

first discussion on September 20, plus I have a super special announcement/giveaway for participants!

For our first book, we are going to read Playful Parenting, by Lawrence Cohen, PhD.

Playful Parenting is my personal favorite parenting book. Dr. Cohen focuses on establishing trusting connections between parents and children, rethinking the way we discipline, and empowering and believing in our children. But even better than the lessons in a positive parenting philosophy, he offers concrete examples of how to implement play in your every day parenting.

“Playful Parenting means joining children in their world of play, focusing on connection and confidence, giggling and roughhousing, and following your child’s lead.”2 “Playful Parenting helps with the toughest aspects of parenting: tantruming toddlers, biting preschoolers, anxious third-graders, out-of-control preteens. Playfulness resolves our battles over getting dressed and ready in the morning, soothes our frazzled nerves at the end of a long day, and restores family harmony. . . . When we are exhausted or when we are at the end of our rope, we tend to think that play will be just more of an energy drain. But when we engage playfully with our children, we find that suddenly we do have energy, both for fun and for finding creative solutions to thorny problems.”3

Imamom4sure
by on Sep. 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I made a post in the lounge announcing this thread:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/28523/forums/read/12213501/OMG_exciting_post_by_XaK

codename: Mama ONline book discussion group

will be discussing (with the author, and with free prizes as well) on Sept 20th the book

Playful parenting

1) Scheduled reading/discussions: We’ll read the book in very manageable chunks – I know how precious your spare time is as busy parents! I think for our first book, we’ll do about 50 pages at a time. We may adjust that in the future – please give us feedback during and at the end of this first book. Here is our schedule for Playful Parenting:

• Monday, September 20: Our first post/online discussion will start. Before September 20, please read at least the first 3 chapters of Playful Parenting (hereafter PP). In my copy, that’s 58 pages. You will see a few questions at the end of this post – please keep those in mind as you read, and jot down some thoughts/reactions for each question to share with the group.
  •  Monday, September 27: We will discuss Chapters 4 – 6 (in my copy, that’s pages 59 – 111). Questions for Sept. 27 will be posted on Sept. 20.
  • Monday, October 4: We will discuss Chapters 7 – 9 (in my copy, that’s pages 112 – 169). Questions for Oct. 4 will be posted on Sept. 27.
  • Monday, October 11: We will discuss Chapters 10 – 12 (in my copy, that’s pages 170 – 231). Questions for Oct. 11 will be posted on Oct. 4.
  • Monday, October 18: We will discuss Chapters 13 – the end (in my copy, that’s pages 232 – 295). Questions for Oct. 18 will be posted on Oct. 11.
Bellarose0212 Grace
by on Sep. 6, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Wow, just saw this, going to get the electronic copy! Making the time where I have none!

Xakana
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 12:20 PM

We have a few weeks before it begins, but I thought this was really exciting and very cool of her to arrange. This is, so far, my faovorite parenting book for after infancy.

Imamom4sure
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 12:25 PM

from the website:

Discussion Questions for Monday, September 20

Please think about these questions as you read through the first 3 chapters of PP. Write down some answers/responses and stop by Code Name: Mama on September 20 to share them with the group.

If you have been facing a specific challenging situation with your child and would like some PP input from the group, please contact me. Read the “gentle parenting suggestions” guidelines for ideas on what details to include.

1) On average, what reactions and emotions do you have when your child asks you to play? When you think about playing with your child? How do you and your child normally play?

2) Fill in the blank: Playing with my child _____________. (And how do you want your statement to change as we read through this book?)

3) On page 2, Dr. Cohen gives an example of a little boy and his mother at a dance, where “a little playfulness turned the tide.” As you read and prepare for our first discussion, be mindful of situations with your child this week. If you see something headed in a negative direction, try to shift it toward playfulness. Did it work? Tell us about it!

4) Dr. Cohen describes behavior that can be “annoying, obnoxious, or downright infuriating” (page 8 ) – not as something that needs to be punished, but that calls for more playtime. What feelings does that statement engender in you? Do you have a problem with “misbehavior” being “rewarded” by play?

5) Cohen gives an example of a situation with his daughter where “playfulness turned a time that used to be full of frustration for both of us into something fun, enjoyable, and confidence-building.” (page 11) Think about a recurring situation with your child that is consistently “full of frustration.” What could you do to turn it into a moment of play?

6) When discussing closeness and seating arrangements during therapy, Cohen says that it is “important to find the approach your child will most respond to – and you can find this only if you’re trying to interact with your child on their level.” While we read through PP, think about how your child responds best to you – what games consistently bring you closer? What playtime activities make your child feel connected?

SlapItHigh Erin
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Awesome!  This is a great book.  I love it!  I got it for dh and he is enjoying it as well.

mamalinzie
by on Sep. 10, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Just ordered this book.  I suck at playing.. I rather sit and read to her. lol

Xakana
by on Sep. 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM

lol, Lindsay!

Xakana
by on Sep. 20, 2010 at 2:02 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN