Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adding "Ahimsa" to our Group Name?

Posted by (♥Kim) on Sep. 19, 2010 at 5:27 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 1473 Total Views

Ahimsa (SanskritDevanagariअहिंसाIAST ahiṃsāPāliavihiṃsā) is a term meaning to do no harm (literally: the avoidance of violence - himsa).

since the mission of this group is to be more loving that mainstream practices (with homes to influence the mainstream to adopt more loving ways)

I decided the concept of Ahimsa very fitting.  Originally it was translated to mean "nonviolence" such as when describing MLK or Gandhi's human rights movements.

in reality its about living in ways that honors the life of oneself and others, being as conscious and aware as possible to not harm another. finding ways that help create situations of thriving. 

So Alternatives to Mainstream Parenting will now be called 

"Ahimsa Alternatives to Mainstream Parenting"  AAMP (pronouced as amp still)

afterall some alternatives to the mainstream could be violent, and this group is not about those kinds of alternatives. 

Edit: 9/20/10

since Ahimsa means is a more of a lifestyle of being loving. 

the word "loving" will be used instead of Ahimsa, and the group will be called L-AMP for short

I'm still partial to Ahimsa, but the word loving connects to english speakers better, even if the word isn't a full of the loving stuff that Ahimsa is full of. it will totally do, and do well for us! :)

♥Loving Alternatives to Mainstream Parenting (L-AMP)

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. - Rumi

by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Practice of Ahimsa develops love. Ahimsa is another name for truth or love. Ahimsa is universal love. It is pure love. It is divine Prem. Where there is love, there you will find Ahimsa. Where there is Ahimsa, there you will find love and selfless service. They all go together.

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Or should I just call it Loving alternatives to mainstream Parenting

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I'll call it Loving since most folks dont know what AHIMSA means

jessradtke Jessica
by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Quoting Imamom4sure:

I like "loving" better for exactly this reason. I love the *idea* of ahimsa, but you would end up having to explain it repeatedly.

PEACE,

JESSICA

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 9:13 PM

ya, took me a bit to realize, LOL!

Quoting jessradtke:

Quoting Imamom4sure:

I like "loving" better for exactly this reason. I love the *idea* of ahimsa, but you would end up having to explain it repeatedly.

♥Loving Alternatives to Mainstream Parenting (AMP)

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. - Rumi

marjparj Marj
by on Sep. 20, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I just wanted to say that I love this!!  What a great idea Kim!!

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Sep. 21, 2010 at 2:24 AM

AW! thanks! 

haleykj Haley
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 3:27 PM
I joined a group labeled alternative ldestyles or something. Oops turns out it was for people into s&m. Nit my thing in fact the opposite of what I was looking for. Then I found this group. Glad u added the word loving instead if ahimsa because I never would've known what it was and loving,while not the perfect word, does the trick. :) I live this group!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM

although I like the meaning of the word, its not known what it means, so, just saying loving was much clearer, I'm glad you found us, and sometimes we have had folks into alternatives that were not about being loving trying to join the group, LOL (not every alternative has to be about trying to be loving, just that is what this group is mostly interested in)

Quoting haleykj:

I joined a group labeled alternative ldestyles or something. Oops turns out it was for people into s&m. Nit my thing in fact the opposite of what I was looking for. Then I found this group. Glad u added the word loving instead if ahimsa because I never would've known what it was and loving,while not the perfect word, does the trick. :) I live this group!

starlighthippie Keeley
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I love it :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)