Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Read any good fiction books with Alternative Parenting lately?

Posted by (Clara) on Oct. 9, 2010 at 12:25 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 631 Total Views

Somewhere I read recently praising the parenting skills of Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird.

Well, I just finished a book that mentioned several LAMP methods, including breastfeeding, babywearing, veganism, homeschooling, natural birthing (all the way to she accidentally had an at-home birth, and her labor partner kicked the EMTs out of the house LOL!).  It also has some interesting recipes in the back.  It's Sweet Life by Mia King.  (Yes, I found it while browsing our library for another Stephen King as I used to be a big SK reader LOL)  I really liked it and thought I'd share.

Hope it transports someone else to the Big Island for a little while, too!

Clara in KY

meaning.gif picture by lilbean08goveg.gif picture by lilbean08bgreen.gif picture by lilbean08
proudtobf.gif picture by lilbean08cosleeping.gif picture by lilbean08clothblinkie.gif picture by lilbean08
Happy momma to one dear son and two wonderful daughters, an angel and a miracle toddler.

by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Wow! thanks for this idea of reading fiction for models of L-amp lifestyles! 

MyIslandGirls Candice
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 6:21 PM

How is being a vegan a LAMP method?

I read some children's book which show babywearing and breastfeeding... I'd have to go searching in my children'd room for it though (I might have traded it with another mom though)

Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 7:33 PM

its one of many ideas that a person may have that they feel is part of a loving alternative to mainstream, however there are folks that may be vegan and not think in terms of being loving parent and there are folks that are not vegan that do.  its just depends on the person.  

some people clothe diaper to be loving as part of their idea to be more child centered, but then some are cloth diapering but its part of an old fashioned ideal with maybe old fashioned ideas of using corpeal punishment. and some use cloth diapering because it feels like an extension of gentle parenting. so, cloth diapering in and of itself is not necessarily a loving alternative, unless the parent is making that choice as part of a paradigm that is about being loving on the planet or whatever but the main thing is being a gentle parent.

So no particular thing, be it breastfeeding even, is necessarily a loving alternative, historically mom's have breastfed but still engaged in harsh or disconnected parenting as well. 

you can be a nonvegan, disposible and bottle using parent. and still be very loving parent that is about connecting with ones kids. 

Anyway, veganism for me is about extending the compassion, empathy and respect to all living beings, its not the diet, its the desire to live in a way that avoids harming the life of another.  (and we all have limits to where that is practical and how to do that)  I just know it feels really good to contribute, I don't feel bad about plants that were cut and eaten because I believe that they propagate better that way, and that they don't die, but are ready to reproduce, gardening I woudl see how cutting or pruning would help more branches sprout and many plants can't reproduce unless their seed went through the digestive track of an animal.  anyway, avoiding harming the animal just feels good to me.  Before I went vegan, I was very glad to go out of my way for more humanely raised animal foods, and I still support laws to help farm animals be treated humanely (even if I wont consume those products).  Basically, I just don't want to take anything that an animal might prefer for itself and its offspring, unless the animal was willingly sharing it, usually that is affection! It feels so good to know that I am contributing to a kinder cleaner planet with every meal, even if I don't do much of anything that day.  I aim to make it more and more organic and local and have been improving in this department. 

:) LOL I just think life feels way more amazing and loving to imagine animals and children and everyone as deserving a consideration of how things are through their eyes.  of course its all projection, but I think animals have an emotional reality, some folks don't and some folks don't make any distinctions between living things such as bacteria and plants and living beings such as mammals and birds, so to them everything has an equal emotional reality except they will not engage in canabalism (LOL, at least I hope not, although there have been tribal cultures historically that have done this) 

Anyway, this group is loving kind of consciousness with the alternatives, but one doesn't have to have every single are of their lives be a particular lifestyle or method.  But I think when the OP said veganism, she is talking about books that help expand the consciousness to consider the emotional reality of animals and doing no harm, such as instead of squashing a spider, catching it and releasing it else where or something like that, not throwing a rock at a bird but instead watching it. stuff like that.   nonvegans would probably think of such books as the value of kindness towards animals, just because one isn't vegan, doesn't mean they won't want literature that is about being kind to animals and avoid literature that disregards.  long before I was vegan, I know I did not like anyone to do any torture to a cat. and I didn't want farm animals to be tortured on assembly lines, or crowded conditions that disregard their needs for sunshine or digging and play. 

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

How is being a vegan a LAMP method?

I read some children's book which show babywearing and breastfeeding... I'd have to go searching in my children'd room for it though (I might have traded it with another mom though)

MyIslandGirls Candice
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Ah. Ok.  I am not a vegan... as we just prepared our turkey flock this week for Canadian Thanksgiving.. which is tomorrow and Monday.

But Now that you have explained it... I can see how that would work. Just like there are some formula feeding moms who cloth diaper, babywear and use gentle dicipline.

montessori_mama Melissa
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 10:02 PM

That is so neat!  I'm glad you brought this topic up : )  I can't think of anything off hand, but I'll have to be looking out for some more books now!

KreatingMe Rhonda
by on Oct. 10, 2010 at 12:04 AM

I love this topic too! I just have to add that I also have a great habit of picking up the best books by accident. In fact, I bought Unconditional Parenting, by mistake and didn't realize it wasn't the book I had intended to buy until I got home.

MyIslandGirls Candice
by on Oct. 10, 2010 at 12:27 PM

hahaha.... I have never picked up the wrong book by accident... how funny!

Kimra kimra
by on Oct. 10, 2010 at 3:43 PM

awesome!!!

SlapItHigh Erin
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Thanks for sharing!

michelle856 Michelle
by on Oct. 26, 2010 at 7:12 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)