Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting for social change by teresa graham bret

Posted by (♥Kim) on May. 18, 2011 at 9:26 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 769 Total Views

anybody reading or have read this book?

my local friends and I are reading it as part of our own parenting book club, I am not very far into the book but thought you all might be interested in it as well.

from http://www.parentingforsocialchange.com/order-book.html

"This is a brilliant book-- provocative and passionate."
~Charles F. Behling, parent and former Co-director of the Program on Intergroup Relations

"The depth of analysis is superb."
~Bob Collier, The Parental Intelligence Newsletter

"Wonderful, thoughtful, and honest book....Teresa offers her experience, her insight, and her authentic self from her own journey from parental control to parental partnership."
~MJ, Wander Wonder Discover

Learn More About the Book

Parenting for Social Change, the book, debunks the myth that control is an essential parenting tool using current research. It challenges us to think about our mainstream views of childhood and how those views perpetuate control and coercion of children. Want to know more...see the chapter descriptions below.

Table of Contents

Chapter 1: Dynamics of Control
Read about the differences between power and control and how control is normalized as an essential parenting tool to ensure children grow up into healthy and responsible adults. We'll begin the process of questioning control as a social norm.

Chapter 2: Ways We Control Children
Often we don't question or even see the ways we control children. In this chapter, we'll discuss the control of children's bodies, emotional expressions, food, media access, social skills, and learning. I include some of my own stories of letting go of being a controlling parent.

Chapter 3. Controlling Parenting versus Supportive Parenting
We'll look more closely at the current research on control versus supportive parenting and advocate for a new view of childhood.

Chapter 4. Steps Toward Liberation and Freedom
In this chapter, we’ll move into the process of letting go of control and transforming ourselves to create different perspectives and relationships with children through our internal work as parents.

Chapter 5: Tools for Transformation and Change
We’ll discuss strategies for moving through our feelings as parents in order to create the opportunities children (and adults) need to learn and develop in ways that create a deeper connection to who they are as individuals and human beings.

Chapter 6: Conclusion
Finally, I bring home the ways that social change can begin through transforming our relationships with the children who share out lives.

by on May. 18, 2011 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Imamom4sure ♥Kim
by on May. 18, 2011 at 9:31 PM

The theme of control comes up in many parenting converstations I have with other parents (in real life and occassionally online) is about control and freedom and connection and respect.

My theory is that control oriented parents tend to be either permissive (avoiding control, and involvement) or authoritarian (insisting on control and being punitive).

I believe the most important thing is connection, with connection you have the right to be an inspiration or have influence in your childs life (just as there are all kinds of influences and inspirations surrounding that child) and with connection there is no need for coercion or controlling or avoiding of controlling behaviors. 

anyway, I was curious about what others think about the contents and if they have read the book.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)