Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moving to Fort Riley soon!

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 223 Total Views

Hello all my name is sarah i have a 2 year old little girl. We will be moving to riley at the end of september and im wondering what there is to do there and if on post housing is better then off post. also a good area off post to live in if housing is not avaible. we are coming from Korea. this will be our 4th duty station. if anyone can please help me out and tell me what i should exspect that would be great! TIA :-)

by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ssgtgrl12
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Hi my name is Diane...There is alot to do here..we live in Manhattan and we love it..we are about 20 minutes from ft riley..there is a mall,alot of places to eat and shop..but if you cant find what your looking for then 45 minutes away is topeka and there is alot to do there..you will love it!! if you love winter(snow and ice) you will love the winters here..it starts getting cool around the later part of august and..the summers are normally not to bad and the spring well around april it starts getting warm or just when mother nature decides when its time..lol...well hope that your transition to ft riley is good..the base is a good one but it just depends on what you like..i recommend the side that Target is on which is off of HWY 18/ft riley blvd..its the best side of manhattan to live or around the area of CICO PARK..the crime rate is very low and i am very picky where we live since there is time he is deployed..hope that this somewhat helps!! 

welcomeamerican flag ribbon

Lola6
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I agree, we live on Stagg Hill on the west side of town and it is a great neighborhood!  So many kids and a great family atmosphere.  I am glad we decided not to live on post.

ballerinamom
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Hi! Well, we have had a rough start here at Ft. Riley, but we are trying to get in a more positive mind set. If you love the out doors, you are coming to the right place. The more active of the two cities surrounding post is Manhattan. At the moment, we live in Junction City. It has a real small town feel to it, with some slightly shady ( questionable) areas, and also some really nice areas. If you look over on the Western part, where Hwy 77 is at... there are some really nice, safe neighborhoods. I find the rents to be a little pricey for my likings. The people who rent their places out here seem to go based off of the BAH rates rather than what their property is actually worth. The electric and water can be kind of pricey and the tax rates here are a little high. We are moving on post next week... I have always had better experiences living on post everywhere we have been. But to each their own, right?  But all in all, I love the scenery here in the Flint Hills. It's absolutely beautiful. I hope you find a lot to love here; you may as well, cause this is where you have to be... right? One thing I might add that has made our move here more than worth it is the educational opportunities. Here on post the state of Kansas has a grant that will fully fund any military service member, dependant, and veteran in their college courses. The classes are all here on post. They have every class you will need to receive your associates degree of just about any choice. You don't even have to use up any of your husbands GI bill. It's an amazing opportunity!!

txlady06
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 3:16 AM

If you want to pay $1200 + in rent off post is the way to go. LoL We baught a house off post so we didn"t have to wait forever for housing. There isn't a lot to do in the since of shopping or places to go. But there is a lot of parks to go to and walking trails.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN