Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going back to Riley and it is going to be so different!

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:12 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 398 Total Views

Hubby and I were both stationed there in 2007.  We moved to Fort Sill in 2008.  We were both Sgts and so busy we never really did anything fun, but shop for the babies. (I had a 15 month old when I had the twins) I am out of the Army now and hubby is reenlisting to go back!  (he has already locked it in, his report date is April 24th) We are so excited!  When we lived there last time we lived in those new (back then) town houses off of scenic drive. This time we would like to live on base. I have heard base and Manhattan has grown! (we do not go to JC) I wish we were going there sooner!  Any new stores?  I know they have a toys r us, pier one imports, bed, bath and beyond, target and a Chipoltes (yay!!) Pathetic right? That I get so excited over these stores/fast food plcaces. We of course have been all over Topeka since that is where we had the twins. (wonderful hospital up there) BTW, I am 27 years old, I go to school full time. I have a 6 year old son and 5 year old b/g twins. Please fill me in! lol

by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen7232
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

How did you like Manhattan back then?  I'm also debating about living on post at Fort Riley, yes or no.  We move there in about 5 months. I've also lived at Fort Sill when I was on active duty, that was the last place we've lived off post and we owned a home in Lawton.  I am debating if I'd like a change and live off post in the community, and if so it seems like Manhattan has more stores and activities, or if we should just stay on post. I don't know anything at all about Riley, but I'm hoping for some answers on how it is there! I hope you get some answers so that I can see! It seems so quiet here!

vetNmommy
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM

We will be getting there soon after you! We LOVED Manhattan!  However with two incomes (both were Sgts) we could afford a nicer place. Sadly we can not afford to live in the same area, and we need a four bedroom. ): So more than likely we will be trying for on base or doing month to month somewhere until we get on base. We live on base at Fort Sill (the houses you can see off  the high way) They are nice! (I actually grew up here) In Manhattan it is going to be so nice! All the stores!  (you know how it is here, they are just breaking ground for the Target) It took them years to get an Olive Garden. We had the twins in Topeka, that was a nice area to go shopping in, plus we will be checking out the Zoo up there in Topeka. I also want to go to the Wizard of Oz museum this time. lol. I know at Riley they were building new houses by the Commissary when we were leaving. What was your job in the Army? I was a 92A. 

Quoting jen7232:

How did you like Manhattan back then?  I'm also debating about living on post at Fort Riley, yes or no.  We move there in about 5 months. I've also lived at Fort Sill when I was on active duty, that was the last place we've lived off post and we owned a home in Lawton.  I am debating if I'd like a change and live off post in the community, and if so it seems like Manhattan has more stores and activities, or if we should just stay on post. I don't know anything at all about Riley, but I'm hoping for some answers on how it is there! I hope you get some answers so that I can see! It seems so quiet here!

jen7232
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM

We left Sill before there was even an Olive Garden. I lived on 62nd Street near I think it was Eisenhower High School/Cache Road. We're on our fourth duty station after that. When we were at Sill, I was working as a 75 MOS which is now the 42 series MOS (Human Resources).

I hope Fort Riley will be great. I'm not too particular about duty stations, except for now with kids the only things that would concern me are good schools, good place to live, and good activities to enroll them in. Weather, remoteness, not a big deal to me. The only thing I don't see which I'm kind of bummed about is no Little League, at least I can't find a local chapter there.

Anyone else out there, what are the new good things to know about Manhattan or Fort Riley?

ArmyWife090809
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I stay in the new housing on post, I really like it. I would request to get on the waiting list for it. There called  Forsyth.

armymommy25
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Hi, I've joined this group because we are moving to Riley next Jan-Feb from Fort Bragg, NC. We have been stationed here 5 years, so IT IS time for a change.... I have a son who will 3 and a daughter who will be 10 months by the time we get there. I joined the group to hopefully meet some moms/wives at Riley as the time to PCS gets closer! We aren't new to the military, but I would love to get too know ppl before I get there so I am not completely alone as my hubby will be going too work and then training right after we arrive. If you are interested in getting to know me, Feel free to e-mail me ANYTIME! :-) Bethany

da_nica
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Ill be moving to KS this weekend coming up with my two kids. My BF is stationed at Ft.Riley.excited to go but also sad to leave CA as we ll as my family and friends. I wont know anyone either.

Quoting armymommy25:

Hi, I've joined this group because we are moving to Riley next Jan-Feb from Fort Bragg, NC. We have been stationed here 5 years, so IT IS time for a change.... I have a son who will 3 and a daughter who will be 10 months by the time we get there. I joined the group to hopefully meet some moms/wives at Riley as the time to PCS gets closer! We aren't new to the military, but I would love to get too know ppl before I get there so I am not completely alone as my hubby will be going too work and then training right after we arrive. If you are interested in getting to know me, Feel free to e-mail me ANYTIME! :-) Bethany

armymommy25
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Oh wow that will be a big change, hope you like it, you living on post? Where at?
da_nica
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:43 AM
It sure will. I hope i like it too because its totally diff then here. No we are living off post in Junction City. How about you?

Quoting armymommy25:

Oh wow that will be a big change, hope you like it, you living on post? Where at?

vetNmommy
by New Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:34 AM

We live on post, in Old McClellan. (: We love it!

Quoting armymommy25:

armymommy25
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Gonna live on post
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)