Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ToRnAdOeS...

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:06 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 274 Total Views

My family and I will be moving to Ft. Riley Kansas this February. I am kinda terrified of the thought of everything I own being picked up by a tornado. When is tornado season there? Have any of you ever seen a tornado, and how long have you lived there? Do they provide shelters on post? We were thinking about getting a house off post, but didn't know what the rules are for shelters and such for military off post. I guess I am kinda paranoid about it, and we move there in a month!! Any advice will help me lots! I am also the kinda person that would love to chase tornadoes and take pictures... kinda crazy huh?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Khelmuth
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I have lived here since 2004, we have had lots of tornado scares, but i have only seen two. On post there are shelters that you can go to, not really sure about off post as I have never lived off post but im sure they have some too. I also noticed your picture...I just had a baby and named her Kinlee, I had only heard it one other time. LOL

Hlask06
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Tornadoes are pretty bad here. I just moved from OK and they are just as bad. However, with that being said- because they are so bad, most towns are ready for them and most buildings and homes are built with that in mind,.

ScorpioGirl
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I have been here for 1 year and my DH for almost 2 and in that time I have only "seen" one, yea we have had scares and the sirens go off and crap but nothing has hit post since either of us have been here.  The season is from about May until like November... I'm pretty sure.  They test the sirens on post every Friday too so that you know they work.  Also for shelters, if you decide to live on post you can ask the housing office/Picerne where in your home you are supposed to go int he event of a Tornado warning.

Armymom134
by Member on Feb. 20, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I have lived in kansas my whole life and I've been through a bunch of tornado's and hail storms and wind storms...they aren't that bad but we have a basement. The biggest one I can remember took our neighbors front porch clean off. As long as you have shelter I really wouldn't let it get to you. The hail storm that happened here last year i think was the worst I've ever seen, they were the size of baseballs. That was scary.  

Vik1701
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I hate tornadoes too!  I had the thought of them.  I hate the sirens.  It all freaks me out.  I'm always glued to the tv when there's a tornado watch.  I grew up in the midwest, so I've been thru quite a bit of scares.  Last year was a bad tornado that kinda took out a lot of Chapman, a little town nearby.  It seemed to jump J.C., and then hit Manhattan some.  That was freaky.  Make sure you know where the nearest shelter to your abode is, or get a house w/a basement/cellar.

armywifeandmom3
by Member on Feb. 22, 2009 at 1:51 AM

Quoting Vik1701:

I hate tornadoes too!  I had the thought of them.  I hate the sirens.  It all freaks me out.  I'm always glued to the tv when there's a tornado watch.  I grew up in the midwest, so I've been thru quite a bit of scares.  Last year was a bad tornado that kinda took out a lot of Chapman, a little town nearby.  It seemed to jump J.C., and then hit Manhattan some.  That was freaky.  Make sure you know where the nearest shelter to your abode is, or get a house w/a basement/cellar.

We are living in Junction City in the new Buffalo Soldier Housing... so how would I go about finding out where the nearest shelter is? Do the let active duty on post to go to a shelter? Who do I call to ask, or a website??

* PRouD MoMMY To KiNLeiGH CLaiRe! *

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)