Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overwhelmed in baby stuff, HELP!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:12 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 970 Total Views

My husband and I found out were pregnant finally! After his near fatal car accident in 2007 we were told we'd never have kids. I gave up hope for awhile but then SUPRISE! Were starting to do work in the nursery now, I know I have a long while before the baby gets here but i'd rather start stocking up on small things now. We already looked at a crib & dresser set for the baby. What else can I start to buy? My mom told me to buy a pack of diapers when we go to walmart/sam club so we can start to stock up, will that help? Im so confussed and over whelmed. From thinking i'll never have children to being pregnant is still a shock to me. Please help.

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladybugfuentes
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2010 at 8:39 AM
Awww congrats!!! Make sure u get lots of rest.:) at first they really don't "need " too much but, it's ur first so I'm sure ull want it all!:) for the first couple months ull need a swing, tub,bouncy chair& lots of love!!!! Good luck!! & congrats!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Naheta
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2010 at 6:55 PM

*smiles* i was in the same spot lol  i was told i would never have kids then bam heres buggy lol

what i did was sat down with one of my super mom friends and asked ok what do i need? and we made a list and trust me it was huge lol another thing i did was browse babies r us and other sites like that and made a list then priced things out at others places

Mrs.Pipkin
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I would stock up on diapers, wipes, bottles, and onsies

IrishMommy313
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I mean were going to buy the furniture in auguest, we found a set that would work for a boy and girl. I'm going to start buying diapers soon, im only going to by a few packs of newborns because from what I hear "munchkin" wont be in them very long. Wipes we'll buy by the case and onesies are a good tip! I didn't even think about them. The first week of october we'll find out what were having so :)

MILFInProgress
by on Jun. 19, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Dont worry about buying alot of clothes, chances are thats all you will get at your baby shower. I suggest in investing in the sweat pea swing. My daughter loved that thing. Diapers are a good idea. just buy a couple newborn packs to start. But I would stock up on all sizes. Sometimes babys are born to big for the hewborn size, but you can exchange them. Also stock up on wipes. Don't by formula, sometimes babies are sensitive to one brand and you have to swithc. If your going to breast feed buy a pump asap! I waited to long and dd came early, so by that time I didn't have the money anymore. Lets see, butt cream, recieving blankets, nail clippers, a nose sucker, a bassinet unless your co-sleeping. Dont buy a ton of pacies of bottles, I bought a ton of pacies that were teh cutsie ones and dd hated them so I ended up returning alot of stuff. Ummmm....changing pad, a changing table organiser, bottle brushes, crib sheets lots of them, gas drops, stock up on those big packages of white onsies, trust me you will end up throwing most of them away....thats all I can think of off had. Have fun!

MILFInProgress
by on Jun. 19, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Quoting IrishMommy313:

I mean were going to buy the furniture in auguest, we found a set that would work for a boy and girl. I'm going to start buying diapers soon, im only going to by a few packs of newborns because from what I hear "munchkin" wont be in them very long. Wipes we'll buy by the case and onesies are a good tip! I didn't even think about them. The first week of october we'll find out what were having so :)

You might want to wait on the bedding. Unisex sounds cool till you find out the gender. Then you want the girly or boy stuff bad.

mikesbaby11
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM

also check into gettin signed up for WIC if you havent and if u dont know what that is it is WOMEN INFANT and CHILDREN...while ur preg u get milk cheese juice n cereal for you...then when baby comes u get that plus formula its a little different if u are nurseing and then once the baby is off formula ull get what u was gettin before u had the baby only it will b more...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

theyaremyheart
by New Member on May. 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Take Our Quiz

QUESTION:
Are you still using an "old-fashioned" changing pad that brings home lots of unwanted bacteria and germs?

If your answer is YES . . .

OUR NEXT QUESTION IS
WHY?

Visit us at http://www.byebyebacteria.com/
Use code CAFEMOMS at checkout to get
20% off your entire purchase!

eevers55
by Member on May. 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I felt the same way. I found out I was pregnant the day BEFORE we moved to a new state lol. Not only did I have to start thinking about stuff for a new person, but we had just signed a lease for a one bedroom for a year. SO I had to find stuff that would fit into our tiny apartment until we could move. My sister fortunately bought us a crib. It's the one thing we would have bought new (well second thing) Cribs have had so many recalls that it was best for us to go new (plus my sis bought her a convertible one that turns to a toddler bed and then a full size bed, so if we take care of it, she could have it forever :P) The other new thing to buy is a good carseat. Make sure it'll fit your car. And it's one of those things that is better to buy early as your little one can come early and you can't leave the hospital without a carseat. Some things I was glad I had:
A changing table and pad, super convenient.
A nursing pillow. It makes learning latch positions a bit easier, plus it was great for tummy time to lay DD on
Extra plain onesies. We got tons of clothes, esp. when we found out we were having a girl. Our families went nuts with outfits. But for our shower, we bought a bunch of plain white onesies and a pack of fabric markers and let folks decorate them. Great activity and it turned out she wore those more than anything else because it was a hot summer and they were perfect for around the house and getting messy with poop and pee and spit up and whatnot.
burp cloths. Whether you're formula or breastfeeding, feeding is a messy process for the first few months (and then again with solids) but even with DD BFing, she'd spit up a lot the first two months and burp clothes are a total necessity.
Receiving blankets are nice, but I found for sleeping, sleep sacks are WONDERFUL. They swaddle on top with velcro and the legs and feet are left to kick around freely inside a sleeping bag type sack. We got two free ones from our hospital and bought two more from target.
If your are breastfeeding, LANOLIN. It's a godsend lol. And it's safe for the baby. Also some nursing bras and maybe a nursing tank top or two. But DON'T buy them until your milk comes in. Breast size changes so dramatically throughout pregnancy and again once the milk comes in. I bought one at week 38 when I was a D (started at C) and then when the baby came and my milk came in a week later, I had to go buy new ones because I gained yet another size to DD.
Baby specific health items. A Nasal aspirator, a finger brush for the gums, baby nail clippers (although at first it was easier to bite them myself, weird but true) baby lotion for baby eczema.
A baby tub. Mine had a newborn sling and fit on top of my sink. It grew with her and was great.
Definitely wipes. And some diapers. We just did a mini stock of newborn and size 1 diapers. DD used newborn for maybe two weeks and then went to size one for awhile.. I was glad we didn't fully stock up otherwise we'd have a ton more newborn than we needed.
What to Expect, The First Year- GREAT reference for those times when you're curious about something your baby is doing or you think they should be doing or whatever. I've referred to mine about a million times.

Stuff I didn't have but wish I did:
A rocker/glider would have been lovely for feeding. Especially once we moved and she got her own room. I still had to transition her from wherever I fed her at night to her bed, and a few steps would have been better than a long walk down the hall.
An electric pump. I used a manual one since it was cheaper and I had the time to use it, but electric would have been so much easier.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of it at the moment

SweetDea
by Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM
i am pregnant for the 1st time, and i am freaked out by everything i need to buy. when are you due?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)