• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gonal F Down the Sink

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:56 AM
  • 0 Replies
  • 160 Total Views

I need to know if anyone else is having troubles semi vague don't know why you're doing what you're doing instructions and explanations, the fear of doing it wrong and the utter despair when you do it wrong?

The story. I am undergoing my 4th IUI and the doctor switched us from Menopur to Braverelle. Insurance said that it will only cover Gonal F. I have concerns about the multi dose vials. All the other meds have been mix and shoot, barely thought required. I ovulated on the Menopur, they just didn't catch. Age, percentages, so on and so on. Trepidation increased as I was told this would be intramuscular shots as well. The Gonal F comes with a specific syringe for dosage measurement. Talk it through with the nurse with the plan of using an old saline from leftover stock to store the daily dose for transfer to intramuscular needle. This is what follows. Snap the cap off the Gonal F and swab. Use syringe that comes with it to reconstitute. Set it down on the night stand. Snap the cap off the saline vial and swab. Open Q-cap package. Open intramuscular syringe and twist off needle to set aside. Check to see vials are, not okay, but there where I left them. Pick up Q-cap and twist on syringe pulled to 2 ml. Insert in saline vial. Pull entire contents. Walk to sink and plunge. Drop syringe in sink. Get new syringe from drawer on way back to where I'm set up. Open subcutaneous dosage needle. Pull to 150iu. Pick up vial to draw dosage. Realize that I am holding the saline vial. Look down at other vial empty. Freeze. Panic. Place vial down. Look at them again. Walk over to sink and look in. Go back and explain to utter look of panic as I stare at the sink. Pick up phone and walk down stairs to call the on call line. Explain all this. Cry. Wait for return call. Cry some more. Explain it all again. Told that it won't mess up anything. (Well, yes, yes, it actually does. Maybe not medically, but it does mess things up.) $800 of borrowed money down the drain. I'm livid with myself.

Welp, I didn't need to sleep. Please tell me I am not the utter mentally challenged individual I currently think I am... I can't find anything on anyone else doing something like this. I just want one cycle to go smooth, even if it's a BFN, just no major f ups.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)