Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Home Studies different in different states? If So Why? Or for Special needs?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2008 at 11:00 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 155 Total Views
I am very interested in adopting children with special needs!  I just feel so compassionate about my niece and would like to give other children a real chance at being LOVED!

I was wondering if there are different homestudies for special needs children?  What if they are wheel chair bound?  You don't need to worry about them getting into too much with out your assistance!  LOL. 

Limea makes my day!Gloria

by on Apr. 17, 2008 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
berowles
by Member on Apr. 18, 2008 at 5:19 PM
Gloria,
I think it would be the same in every state and special needs as well.
But, don't quote me.
Belinda
Mom_of_7GEMS
by Group Owner on Apr. 28, 2008 at 11:25 AM
A home study is good in every state for any child from any state.  But, they have to have a compact with your state to be able to transfer a child from another state to you.  But, in your application and homestudy, you will make it known that you are seeking children with special needs.  It will be noted if your home is 'handicapped accessible' to be able to accomodate wheelchairs, etc.  You also will have to have made some plans for baththing, bathrooms etc for a child with special needs to have full access to toilets, showers (or tubs) etc. 
With your niece, you might be given more leeway, since you are already raising her, BUT, you might be given grief in attempting to adopt other fully physically challenged children.  If you adopt children who are more developmentally delayed, rather than physically challenged, you might have an easier time getting approved.  Or, you can make the recommended repairs/upgrades to be able to adopt the children of your heart! 
I LOVE your entheusiasm... it's contageous!  I think God has some very special plans for you!  And I am so happy to see you making such progress with your classes and adoption journey!

Dori

Owner http://www.cafemom.com/group/Downsyndrome

Owner http://www.cafemom.com/group/specialneedsadoption

Mom to 7 of the world's greatest kids, 2 homegrown, 5 heartgrown and all gifts from above! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)