Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son and football need some advice. : (

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 3:26 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 357 Total Views
Hello I am new to this site.  My son just started football and is 8 yrs. old he is also overweight.  Last night was his first practice in his full uniform he had to run laps get tackled and do sprints well some tears welled up in his eyes and he managed to wipe them away then when he was doing sprints he was gagging on his mouth guard and ended up vomiting a little on his helmet.  I thought for sure he was coming off that field but his coach just made him sit out and get a drink.  My legs were numb and even when I think about it my eyes well with tears I literally cried myself to sleep.  He has it again tonight and he says he knows what to expect now but I am still a wreck but want to be strong for him I know it will still be rough today and it's like 92 degrees outside today.  Did anyone else go through any of this I really cannot take much more of watching him go through this with me doing nothing but sitting there.  I thought it would be fun but it's not they drive these boys until they vomit and then they make them run more.  Please help me deal let me know some of your sport stories with your kid's.  All advice is greatly appreciated.  I leave work in 2 hours and every time I look at the clock I wan to cry and vomit.  I'm also almost 6 months pregnant and I don't think my nerves can handle it.  His father signed him up but of course never there just me and my huby.  Please Help

Thanks Kris
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Angie89
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Hi~I am new to this group and it breaks my heart to hear what your son is going through.  I have had three boys that played in a little football league for the past 8 years.  We have had our share of heart aches too.  I am seriously glad that this is the last year we will be involved.  My husband is a head football coach at the high school in the town that we live in and he said that they sometimes they make those young kids do more conditioning than he does with the high school kids that he has.  He is also not totally sold on starting kids with football so young.  He has seen many kids with potential get sick of the game because they started so young.  We have also been in the spot of our kids not playing because they don't have the right name or we are good friends with the coach.  It is terrible to see kids go through that.  As for the heat, we have a policy that states if the temp. reaches 90 or above at any time in the day, they are not allowed to have practice.  Sometimes I think the humidity is worse than the temp where we live.   Hang in there, but make sure it is something that he really wants to do. 

Celticmoon3
by New Member on Aug. 11, 2007 at 12:34 AM
How has he made out?  My son desperately wanted to play football.  He started the first day last year between kindergarten and 1stgrade.  6 years old.  Well, he was one of two so rather than train 2 seperately they put him on the next age group.  Now my 6 year old was training with 8 and 9 year olds!   It was a tough call but we pushed him to stay with it - only because we knew how very important it was to him.  A Year has past and he is on the right age group team.  I cannot express what it did for his self esteem.  Now my younger son is playing he is 6.  my older is the fastest on the team, my younger the slowest.  Ever day I ask the little one if he likes football and he suprises me with a big yes!!   Today it was rainy and wet..   I was sure that would be it. This is my sensitive,non-sporty one, after all!(well he loves soccer and Irish dance..)
I have to say that football is one of the best things my boys have done. 

anyway, if he loves to play he will.  If he doesn't like something, would he tell you?  Football is one sport where being bigger is seen as a plus.   at the age he is, that is especially so.  Its not as competitive as it is when the kids get older.   Its horrible being the mother though... 
bc6isjustright
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2007 at 1:35 PM
The first week with full gear was hard but he had his first game on Saturday and they won he was in twice (not bad for the first year) He says he might even play next year.  I am glad he is with his own age range their was a ? of that b/c of his weight.  But I probably wouldn't have let him play.  Thanks for the comments.
TTWWBB
by Member on Aug. 13, 2007 at 6:35 PM

My son was also fairly overweight, around 15-20lbs over the other kids.  He had to be "patched"...which is what they do for heavier kids.  He did the same thing your son did the first few practices...and I would feel the same way you do.  But after talking with his pediatrician and going with my own training as an RN I decided I was doing him a bigger favor by keeping him in football.  He was getting exercise and learning to work harder.  He is also a wrestler, so his weight in that sport has always been an issue.  Finally I met with a friend who is a nutritionist and she put him on a Reverse Diet.  It's basically just a sensible, healthy diet...no frills...except you reverse your larger meal with the smaller...in other words, dinner for breakfast, breakfast for dinner.  He quickly dropped his excess weight and now has two starting positions on his football team and ranked in the top 10 for wrestling.

Your son will do just fine, and be all the better for it.  Just keep an eye on his water intake in that high heat...drinking about 12oz. of water about an hour and a half before practice should keep him from dehydrating too quickly.  And make sure your coaches allow plenty of water breaks.  I see so many kids suffering from dehydration this time of year...Clear urine is happy urine ;)

NYsoccermom
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2007 at 6:48 PM

It's always hard in the beginning. Once he is out there for a while it will get easier. My kids have been playing for 4 years. They aren't the best players but they keep playing.
If he is gagging on his mouthguard it is probably too big. Have you tried trimming it down? One size fits all doesn't mean it will fit without adjustments.
Make sure he is properly hydrated so he won't get run down or very sick.
Hope things look up for him. It's always harder for the younger ones because they aren't used to it. It'll get better.

andidredrea
by on Oct. 25, 2007 at 5:36 PM
So how did he do?  How was the rest of the season for your son?  I have a 7 year old who played flag football for his second year in a row.  He loved it.  But when my older son first played tackle he was 9, he was pretty small for his age so I was terrified, but after some practices and advice from a GREAT coach he did okay. 
bc6isjustright
by New Member on Oct. 28, 2007 at 7:47 PM
Wow I can't believe the same child I wrote this about overcame all that and won his championship game today.  Thank you for all of your comments on my post.  He loves it now learned so much and his coaches ended up being wonderful guys that took him under their wings and brought out the best in him.  He is now running around with his medal on talking about next year.

Thanks to all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)