Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey mom's. i have a question

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 427 Total Views
Im krystyn, i live in delaware city... I have a son whose like 16 months. and he's not talking. He points at stuff and says eh a lot, and he says mama to everything. He knows what things are, he just wont say anything.
I was wondering if hes just a late bloomer or something or could it be serious?
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetwhite30
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM

some kids are late bloomers but by now your child should say a few words. but dont be overly concerned until your child reaches 18 to 20 months and isnt talking more then 2 or 3 words then its time to call early intervention.I can tell you from experience  if your child does have a asd dx theres no services in delaware , we are moving to coatesville pa because of this........ but you can ask this place about your concern they can give you proper advice

www.childresourcecenter.com

just pick contact us and  write out your question to them and they will call you and give you loads of info and if theres reason to be concerned or not....

i hope this helps you.

mary mother of a (soon 9 yr. old with hfa and a 5 year old with cystic fibrosis).....A mothers job is non-stop,24 hours a day!
APartyPrincess
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:00 PM

is he in daycare? 

alot of times kids dont use words because they dont hear them. Whenever he points to stuff, before you give it to him, say what it is, then ask him to repeat it. Even if he cant at first, keep having him try.

I work with babies from infant up to 24 months, and its very normal. When they are home with mom & dad then alot of times you are catering to him and when you know what he wants you give to him without him having to say it.

I dont think there's anything wrong with him..he is still pretty young...if he reaches 2 with no words, then talk to your doctor 

Romantic Expressions by Edna
{Passion Parties Team Leader}
Making The World A Better Place...One Orgasm At A Time!
www.PartyWithEdna.com
*book a party, shop online, join my team*

JuggaloMommi
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. He isnt in daycare, but when he points to something we say it, then we hand it to him. Sometimes we just tell him to say what he wants instead of just pointing and saying "eh"... We talk and point things out all the time and he knows what everything is, he just doesnt say it. .
MILFpunk
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:05 PM

i know how you feel, my son is also 16 months, and will barely say anything. on the other hand my daughter was telling us what she wanted at 11 months. every kid is dirrerent. i wouldnt worry about it if i was you.

JuggaloMommi
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 7:54 AM
Thanks. My son was walking at 11 months. its just the talking thing... My brothers son is a few months younger then him and sayin a lot of stuff. Im just worried he'll always do that.
JulesMommy12-10
by Member on Mar. 10, 2009 at 7:44 AM

16 months is very normal!!!

And early walkers are late talkers and vice versa ....usually

cvs21
by Member on Mar. 10, 2009 at 8:53 PM

you got some great advice on here already...

I always say if there's anything you don't feel good about, ask your pediatrician.... it never hurts to get some extra help if need be.

in DE they have a great program for early intervention called ChildWatch....it's free and they have speech therapists, physical therepists, etc.... I think your DR has to refer you but if you're still feeling uneasy it doesn't hurt to ask ped about it

good luck!

sweetwhite30
by on Mar. 10, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Child watch is a great program we have here in delaware but what i was saying was this,i know from having a HFA(high functioning autistic child) theres no services for them here. There is services and great ones for low functioning autistic kids though. Ones who don't talk or understand words, they teach them how to sign  and its beautiful how they bloom......Early intervention is the pound of prevention....... go with the mother insticts (the gut feelings are usually right).......I think you should discuss your concern with your pediatrician so he or she can be alert and watch your child more closely so ,it can be dectected if  need be...

I wish you luck and i hope your baby is just a late talker..

My son could say quite a few words but when he reached 2 and a half he could not make simple sentences and this is when they got the red flags on the asd dx..So you have a little time for your baby to talk and get things moving....

mary mother of a (soon 9 yr. old with hfa and a 5 year old with cystic fibrosis).....A mothers job is non-stop,24 hours a day!
JuggaloMommi
by New Member on Mar. 10, 2009 at 11:26 PM
Thanks again, all of you.
I will definitely check out Child Watch.
Im pretty sure its nothing, but with me being a first time mom, i ask other moms for advice.

Sometimes we just get so frustrated all the time because if he just says "eh" and looks at something, he expects me to know what he's askin for. Its frustrating to me as a mom because it makes him do this thing where if i dont understand what he is askin, then he faces a wall, puts his arm on it, and puts his head on his arm as to kinda say " u just dont understand mom. "

I get sad because he does this, and then he gets upset cause im upset. its just a big mess sometimes
MdbOrb1428
by New Member on Mar. 13, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I wouldn't worry just yet....My son at about 9 months was talking quite a bit . But my 19 month daughter just started talking more at 17 months. Every child is different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)