idea for a new kind of book club / writing contest. what do you think?
My husband has an idea for a new kind of book club. I think it sounds really fun but he asked me if I could ask cafemom members what they think. so, here it is:
- Members would join a community where they get to read an online preview for kids books that have been submitted by authors/illustrators and comment/vote for their favorites.
- Every month, the book with the most votes would get published and would be made available for sale.
- We would retain the rights for the winning book but for all other books, the author will retain the rights
- There are two levels of membership: free and paid.
- Free members have access to the previews, can vote and comment and are able to buy any published books for $15.
- Paid members would pay $10 per month and automatically have the published book of the month sent to them every month
- Paid members would also be able to buy previously publushed books for $12 instead of $15
- Published authors will receive $500 plus a significant royalty for each book sold - say $3 to $6 per book
How does this sound as an idea. As an author / illustrator, does this sound appealing? How does this compare to what you would typically receive from a traditional publishing house? or a self publisher?
As you can see, we're still at the beginning stage of exploring this idea so any input / feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.