Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

idea for a new kind of book club / writing contest. what do you think?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 197 Total Views

My husband has an idea for a new kind of book club. I think it sounds really fun but he asked me if I could ask cafemom members what they think. so, here it is:

• Members would join a community where they get to read an online preview for kids books  that have been submitted by authors/illustrators and comment/vote for their favorites. 
  • Every month, the book with the most votes would get published and would be made available for sale.
  • We would retain the rights for the winning book but for all other books, the author will retain the rights 
  • There are two levels of membership: free and paid.
  • Free members have access to the previews, can vote and comment and are able to buy any published books for $15.
  • Paid members would pay $10 per month and automatically have the published book of the month sent to them every month
  • Paid members would also be able to buy previously publushed books for $12 instead of $15
  • Published authors will receive $500 plus a significant royalty for each book sold - say $3 to $6 per book

How does this sound as an idea. As an author / illustrator, does this sound appealing? How does this compare to what you would typically receive from a traditional publishing house? or a self publisher?

As you can see, we're still at the beginning stage of exploring this idea so any input / feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
wvcoffeechick
by Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Nice to meet you:) I also write children's books. I am not really interested ina paying book club, but am always interested in meeting other writers!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)