Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Are You Grateful For? Writing Contest

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:33 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 233 Total Views

Many of you know that I wrote a children's book called Thank You for Giraffes.  I got the idea for it from a prayer my daugher said when she was two years old.  The illustrations of the book are quilts that I made.

It seems that children today are very focused on getting stuff.  It's not their fault.  Multimillion dollar advertising campaigns convince them that they will be happy only if they get the latest toy, video game, or treat.  I think that teaching children to be mindful of and thankful for what they have, like family, home, food, the beauty of nature, can help counteract this.  That is what I tried to do in my book.  Here is the entire text of the book:

My daugher Cara loves giraffes.  When she was two years old, she always included giraffes in her prayers.  One evening her usually long list of blessings ran short.  Her prayer went something like this:  "Thank You for my home.  Thank You for my family.  Thank You for our food.  Thank You for giraffes. . . . . . . . . and more giraffes."  After she heard me tell this story to several people, that phrase became part of every night's prayer.  My prayer is that all children, to whomever they pray, have much for which to be thankful.

thank you for giraffes, and more giraffes

thank you for food

thank you for water, and otters

thank you for wild

thank you for calm

thank you for sunsets

thank you for dawn

thank you for home

and places far

thank you for the moon and stars

thank you for animals big, and small

but most of all,

thank you for love

I have decided to write Thank You for Giraffes Part 2, (title to be determined) and I would like to get some inspiration from all my cafemom friends.  I decided to make it into a contest.  If you would like to participate, just write two lines which rhyme or sort of rhyme and send them to me.

Like:  Thank You for kittens and puppies, Thank You for tadpoles and guppies.

I'm sure you guys can do better than that!!

All entries will be given consideration, and if I decide to use yours in the book, you will receive $100 and will be listed as a contributing author.  Also, on August 31, 2007 I will draw 3 names from all entries and those moms will win a free copy of the book.

You can see (and order a copy!) of Thank You for Giraffes on my website:     www. childwonderpress.net    Good luck!!

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommaonthemove
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:42 AM
I feel the same about the toys and material objects.

I just asked my 4yr old son what he is thankful for and he said "I am thankful for hugging and kissing you and tickling you too"

I would not have asked him at this moment what he was thankful for, so I thank you for the idea, that just made my day!!!!

Christie

Interested in working from home www.ihelpyouearn.com Dental, RX, Chiro, Vision, and medical savings www.ihelpyousave.com
ryleemom
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 9:47 AM
You are an angel, trying to include us in your new book! Thank you for this nice and thoughtful contest : )

Here is my contribution; I hope you like it:

Thank you for the big blue sky
Thank you for the happy tears I cry.

- Heather Leigh Sklar
katydidday
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2007 at 11:48 PM
This is such a brilliant idea, I know that my daughter has said some pretty insightfull stuff at prayer time.

So,here's my entry:

Thank you for baby
joyful and true.
Thank you for being you.
Scott_C
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 7:11 AM
Greetings Loose_Threads,

And hi to everyone else while I'm at it. Dropped in for a quick browse and this caught my eye. Couldn't resist playing Devil's Advocate to all the nice entries =) ... surely all it needs is a little boy's perspective?? I tried to stop at two lines ... honest! But once you get going it's hard to stop ... like most things fun. So allow me to throw this into the mix =) ... Good luck with writing the sequel. Somehow I don't think something like this would be a smooth transition though.

Thank you for mud, and the way that it oozes.

Thank you for sun-spots, and afternoon snoozes.

Thank you for slugs that abound in my yard.

Thank you for candies both chewy and hard.

Thank you for butter, that melts on my crumpet
and making Dad’s nose sound just like a trumpet.

Thank you for rocks, that go splash in the creek
and other things slimy that make girls go eek!

Ok, enough fun for one evening! Yes, you guessed it, I don't have a daughter. Happy writing. Cheers Scott_C.
artisttoo
by Member on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:58 PM
Thank you so much for including us and our ideas into your world.  Here is one rhyme I thought of .  If I think of more, I shall post them for you, too.

Thank you for colors, bright and fair,
and rainbows, where colors are seen in the air.

Okay, here's another:

Thank you for flowers and for their seeds.
I like the pretty ones mother calls weeds.

Thanks again.  Deanna
loose_threads
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:09 PM

You guys are great!  I think I'll have to do more than one book!!  Thanks, and I'll let you know how it's going!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)