Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are Agents Worth It? How about websites?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 454 Total Views
Question 1
Has anyone dealt with an agent/s? I've always gone solo. Lately I've toyed with the idea of an agent since some publishers list that as a requirement for consideration. At this point, I'm not sure and am just investigating the pro's/con's. I've always leaned toward an agent as someone who could help with business when the help is needed. I don't know how reputable some agencies are, either. They also say they each represent the "top" illustrators. (Top of what? lol) Is SCBWI better quality control? Any pointers/experience is appreciated.

Question 2
Has anyone ever used a paid illustration-related websites, where you pay a fee to show your work? Some claim to have publishers/interested parties as viewers---they "use" the site. When I browsed one site, it looked very nice, but I had to wonder.....works were broken into categories. Some were loaded and I never made it past 1/2 the group, others were less than a page.

I don't foresee using one of these, as I have better ways to burn my $$, but was curious whether anyone here or you know of anyone who's actually had success, as in any interest or business coming their way. I guess I didn't see the full benefit. I would feel shafted if my work ended up on page 12 when those searching only maybe browse through page 5, and I'm paying a lot for the exposure. It seems, to me, that the paid site is acting as a latent agent. --Anyone know?

Thanks
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MarloG
by Group Owner on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:40 PM
Hi Sarah, I have solid answers for both these questions, but in a bit of a rush to get to RISD right now, so I will reply later tonight or tomorrow!

Best,

Marlo
MarloG
by Group Owner on Jul. 30, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Ok,

It is nearly as difficult to get an agent as it is to get a publisher to accept your work. In children's publishing having an agent or art rep is not a 'must' but it probably helps !

I would not use anyone calling themselves an agency who  is not in The Children's Writers and Illustrators Market. No-one should charge you for a reading fee. There are some great pointers for avoiding scams on:

http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubwarn.htm

I think what you're really looking for is an art rep anyway. Once again, the CWIM has some. But you're right to be skeptical and careful.

Yes SCBWI is an excellent resource in every way.

I think you're best to set up your own portfolio website and then entice art directors to come visit by regularly sending our postcards and/or tearsheets of your best images.

I've heard a number of people (both editors and illustrators) 'in the know' say  that PictureBook http://www.picture-book.com/ is the only chidlren's book illustration site/source book  worth being part of if you want to be an illustrator. and that anything else is just money wasted. I think this is good advice, and as I said I've heard it from a number of independent and reputable sources (inlcuding my illustration teacher at RISD).

I hope this helps!

Marlo

I hope that helps

sarah17
by Member on Feb. 18, 2008 at 5:12 PM
Thanks! My art world background and a few bad experiences have jaded me a bit. I have some 'trust' issues!

Illustration is an intersting gig. Last summer, likely when I wrote this post, via insider info, I learned that a publisher I'd worked heavily with in the past now generally only works via agents or a stock service. One contact passed away, two others shifted to another department. There is now an art director who appears to be a rather green college grad and doesn't even return phone calls, which never happened with anyone else in the past.

I've had so many people ask for my website and card that I'm feeling way behind the times! How do you keep your work from getting ripped off on the www?
Mrs.Somebody
by on Feb. 21, 2008 at 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info
Mrs. Somebody
alli4god
by on Feb. 24, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Can you explain that better for me.

What website can I put my story on to get recognized?

Now, I am not talented at art.  I just write. 

I have a little story for a girl.  the age would be 5-8.

Also do you need to have your story copyright so no one steals it?

Thank you
ALLISON

Christ is a substitute for everything, but nothing is a substitute for Christ. -- Dr. H. A. Ironside (1876-1951)

"When one burns one's bridges, what a very nice fire it makes." Dylan Thomas
MarloG
by Group Owner on Feb. 24, 2008 at 4:58 PM
Hi There's no website you can put your story on so it can get recognised. You'll need to submit it to publishers. Start by reading some of my sticky posts to work out how to get started.

Illustrators, on the other hand, usually have their own websites that feature their portfolio.

And really, it's extremely unlikley that anyone is going to steal your work. Certainly do NOT get a copyright before submitting your work to a legitimate publisher. That would scream "newbie" to an editor, and you don't want that.

Good luck,

Marlo
sarah17
by Member on Feb. 25, 2008 at 5:13 PM
Hey!

On the topic of websites. Any advice on the best routes for a personal site? Who are some of the best providers? I know there are many ways to gain a website and pay for a domain. Is there an artist/illustrator standard?

Thanks!
MarloG
by Group Owner on Feb. 27, 2008 at 6:44 AM
A standard? I doubt it. My provider is Earthlink, costs me $19.95 a month. I bought my domain from GoDaddy.com for about $8. Earthlink have a free site builder that comes with it.

However, as soon as I can afford it, I'm going to have one created professionally including animation. But until then, the one I created myself will have to do: it shows my work and tells a little about me. It really is essential for illustrators to have one.

Marlo
pressdough
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Quoting sarah17:

Hey!

On the topic of websites. Any advice on the best routes for a personal site? Who are some of the best providers? I know there are many ways to gain a website and pay for a domain. Is there an artist/illustrator standard?

Thanks!
How about a blog spot?  I just created one at blogger.com. 
MarloG - would that work for Sarah17...for, at least now?

Also, I just registered on flapjacket.com.  You can get some info on publishers there.  I'm new to this arena, but I am trying to take in all I can before forging forward with my endeavors.  The site seems pretty good to get your feet wet.
teresakie
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2008 at 10:44 PM
Hi! Ive been design children's books for many years so i can honestly say that the illustrators we hire sometimes have agents / and sometimes do not. I am currently designing 5 picture books and two illustrators have agents. For an art director, it really doesn't matter UNLESS your agent is a horror and not so easy to work with. Then we don't want to work with him/her. If you are looking for agent, just make sure you really like his/her personality and like most (80%) of the artists they represent--if you don't, do NOT use that agent. An agent is great for: 1) urging you to create samples 2) showing your artwork to publishers 3) working out the $$ end of things but if you do your research (like read read read books) then you can easily find contact names on the copyright pages of books and send samples directly to the designers. We use many annuals to find illustrators. Websites too. We look in magazines, ads, other books, etc. Is it worth it to pay to be on a site? Depends on how much work you want to put into getting your work published. It is most important that you do your research, investigate the kind of books coming from publishers (more specifically--from which imprints), and READ read READ. If there is a certain publisher that publishes books you LOVE chances are you have similar tastes. But when researching, make sure you read current books. Books on the backlist are most likely published by staff that my not be working there anymore. Learn the ins/outs of a book. I can't tell you how many people send me book submissions that aren't 32 pages. and last but not least= Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)