What does this assignment say to do?
Evaluation Assignment & Rubric
For this assignment, you will write an essay evaluating a subject. You should choose a subject that you can make a confident judgment about, so think about your areas of expertise. In your essay, you state your judgment clearly and back your evaluation up with reasons and support. Make sure to describe your subject for readers unfamiliar with it and give them a context for understanding it. Your purpose is to convince readers that your judgment is informed and based on generally accepted standards for this kind of subject.
A good essay will:
- Evaluate a subject in 3-5 pages
- Present the subject by describing it in detail for readers unfamiliar with it
- Assert an overall, definitive, clear judgment up front in the form of a thesis
- Explain and justify the judgment by giving reasons and support
- Give appropriate reasons the reflect the typical values or standards
- Support reasons with relevant examples, quotes, facts, statistics, or personal anecdotes
- Respond to readers’ likely questions or objections
- Establish the writer’s credibility and authority
- Be organized effectively
- Be free of grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors
- Be in the correct format as stated in the syllabus