Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weekly Topic: Learning & Sharing About Different Backgrounds

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:50 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 513 Total Views

Please feel free to answer as much as you are comfortable answering and/or asking:

• What is the first question you ask a person when you learn they are from a different country or cultural background?
  • What is the first question other people have asked you when they learned you are from a different country or cultural background?

• What is the biggest lesson you have learned from someone from a different country or cultural background?

• What questions have you never asked, but would like to know about from someone who lives in a different country or is from a different cultural background? 
    (If you are not comfortable posting your questions here, please feel free to PM me and I will post all questions anonymously...no identities will be revealed.)

• What would you like people from other countries or cultural backgrounds to know about you, your country, or background? 
    (If you are not comfortable posting your comments here, please feel free to PM me and I will post all comments anonymously...no identities will be revealed.)

Have a great week!       :o)

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mcgrissa
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 11:32 AM

wave~Hello~

I'm new here & just thought I'd jump right in! You'll soon find that I chat too much!

• What is the first question you ask a person when you learn they are from a different country or cultural background?  Tee-hee,ha-ha,that's an easy one...I always want to know if they'll share their recipes!
  • What is the first question other people have asked you when they learned you are from a different country or cultural background?  Ooops! Guess I should've read the fine print better.I was born in America,as were both my parents.One grandparent came from Poland & that's where most of our family was from originally.

• What is the biggest lesson you have learned from someone from a different country or cultural background?  To appreciate the differences & not be afraid to ask questions when I don't understand something or pretend like there aren't some things that I notice that are done,said,etc.differently.It doesn't make one right & the other wrong...just different! 

• What questions have you never asked, but would like to know about from someone who lives in a different country or is from a different cultural background?  How do you honestly view Americans(in general)? Are we seen as shallow,unappreciative & greedy as I sometimes see my countrymen? So many around the world seem happier,with so much less materially than we Americans...we always seem to want more...bigger,better,newer...
    What would you like people from other countries or cultural backgrounds to know about you, your country, or background?  That we should be "judged" individually or that generalizations shouldn't be made.Look at each person's heart to see their real riches & the truth of who they are.

~ChattyCathy~

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

mamivon2
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Quoting Fun4Mommy:

Please feel free to answer as much as you are comfortable answering and/or asking:

• What is the first question you ask a person when you learn they are from a different country or cultural background?  I dont ask I usually say; wow cool and then I start asking questions like whats the weather like, do you have cars, what religion do you have then I want to know every detail about their believes.
  • What is the first question other people have asked you when they learned you are from a different country or cultural background? LOL On what side do you drive, do you know HEIDI, do you yodel? Im swiss

• What is the biggest lesson you have learned from someone from a different country or cultural background? Im not sure

• What questions have you never asked, but would like to know about from someone who lives in a different country or is from a different cultural background?  Nothing if I want to know something I just ask
    (If you are not comfortable posting your questions here, please feel free to PM me and I will post all questions anonymously...no identities will be revealed.)

• What would you like people from other countries or cultural backgrounds to know about you, your country, or background? If they want to know something they can ask me. And yes swiss people are very uptied people.
    (If you are not comfortable posting your comments here, please feel free to PM me and I will post all comments anonymously no identities will be revealed.)

Have a great week!       :o)

posey
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM
  • What is the first question you ask a person when you learn they are from a different country or cultural background

if I know of something about the area I ask if it is true that....

• What is the first question other people have asked you when they learned you are from a different country or cultural background?

they usually want to know if the south is like it is on the tv. no air conditioning and poor living conditions

• What is the biggest lesson you have learned from someone from a different country or cultural background?

it doesn't matter where in the world you are the northern part of the country will make fun of the southern part

• What questions have you never asked, but would like to know about from someone who lives in a different country or is from a different cultural background? 

• What would you like people from other countries or cultural backgrounds to know about you, your country, or background? 
    (If you are not comfortable posting your comments here, please feel free to PM me and I will post all comments anonymously no identities will be revealed.)

i would like them to know just because i grew up somewhere that has nice to hot weather doesn't make me dirty, or full of hate or poor. Southerns, I think appreciate the Earth and its elements a bit more than most. They know everything is earned thru hard work and patience.

bribren
by Member on Jan. 29, 2009 at 4:35 AM
  • What is the first question you ask a person when you learn they are from a different country or cultural background?
  • I think the first thing I would ask is about their country the language, the terrain, the weather or how their culture is different from mine, I guess.
  • What is the first question other people have asked you when they learned you are from a different country or cultural background? I get ask about being Cajun a lot because I from Louisiana.

• What is the biggest lesson you have learned from someone from a different country or cultural background? That everyone is different and that you can't judge a whole race by a few of that culture or race.

• What questions have you never asked, but would like to know about from someone who lives in a different country or is from a different cultural background?  I haven't a clue I am pretty open and out spoken which gets me into trouble sometimes. If I think it most time it comes flying out my mouth. LOL Case in point my husband is Native American when he first told me I was nuh uh you can't  be a cowboy and an Indian. My husband later told me it was a good thing you are cute. LOL
  • What would you like people from other countries or cultural backgrounds to know about you, your country, or background? That we are all individuals, never judge a book by it's cover because you could lose out on a beautiful story
Sandy0904
by Member on Jan. 31, 2009 at 3:15 PM

It depends on the country or background.  It depends on what I know about already.                    I like to ask people about how they live (country setting, city setting) and what                                 rules/procedures there are at schools in other countries (I work in a school)

I work with High School students and a great amount are from different countries.  They ask me where I am from all of the time.  Most students assume I came from another country also.  If a person knows I am from America, then they assume they know everything
    about where I live (of course not everywhere in America is the same). My cultural background isn't always an issue with anyone as there are not as many questions about it. 

That we all have differences and we should embrace them.  It doesn't matter where you are from, we all have very many similiarities.  There are alot of wonderful people all over the world.

I like to know about what language people speak.  What their ideas are on education, what their customs are, what type of transportation they use, what types of jobs their are.  What their thoughts are on bringing up children. (Just to name a few things.)

That Americans are not all the same.  No matter what country or cultural background you are there are nice people as well as nasty people. 
andreamarie
by New Member on Mar. 18, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I'm not sure. I never thought about it. I just say what is on my mind at the time.

andrea-marie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)